University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources


Benefits Available

Within 30 days of your marriage date, you may make the following changes:

  • Add your spouse to your medical or dental plan with coverage effective on the date of your marriage
  • Enroll in a flexible spending account or change the amount effective with the first full payroll period following the date of your marriage
  • Add spouse life insurance in multiples of $1,000 up to $10,000 without evidence of good health

Call 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363 within 30 days to request these benefit changes. After the 30-day window, you need to wait until the next available open enrollment period to make the changes.

At any time during the year, you can make the following changes:

  • Add spouse life insurance, subject to underwriting, up to a maximum of $500,000
  • Add or increase employee additional life insurance, subject to underwriting, up to a maximum of $500,000 or, if greater, five times your annual salary (rounded up to the next $1,000) but not more than $1 million
  • Add or increase the amount of short-term disability, subject to underwriting
  • Update your beneficiary on your retirement and insurance plans

Additional Changes

You can update your personal and tax information on the MyU site.

Update Personal Information

  • Update your address
  • Change your name
  • Add your new spouse as an emergency contact.

Update Your W-4 Tax Information

  • Update the number of federal and state withholding allowances
  • Update your marital status

Paycheck Calculator

  • Calculate your net pay, or "take-home" pay, based on changes your W-4 allowances