University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources


Notify Employee Benefits of Your Divorce

You must notify Employee Benefits within 30 days of your divorce because this event will affect your ex-spouse's continued eligibility for benefits.

Medical and Dental Coverage

When you are divorced, you need to end medical and dental coverage for your ex-spouse no later than 30 days after the date of divorce. Medical and dental coverage for your ex-spouse end on the last day of the month in which the divorce is final.

If you do not cancel your ex-spouse from the coverage within 30 days of your divorce, the current coverage contribution rate will continue to be deducted from your pay; however, your ex-spouse will not be covered. If you have children covered, you would continue to pay the contribution rate, but your ex-spouse would not have coverage. To remove your ex-spouse or cancel coverage, contact Employee Benefits.

COBRA Continuation Coverage

Your ex-spouse may continue group medical and/or dental coverage under state and federal continuation provisions, commonly referred to as COBRA. Generally, group coverage may be continued until the earlier of 36 months following loss of coverage or your ex-spouse is covered under another group insurance plan. Your ex-spouse will be billed for the full group rate plus a 2% administrative charge.

To elect continuation of group medical and/or dental coverage, your ex-spouse must complete a Request for Continuation of Coverage form, obtained from Employee Benefits, no later than 60 days after the date of divorce.

Spouse Life Coverage

Spouse life coverage ends on the last day of the month in which the divorce is final.

When you are divorced, spouse life coverage cannot be continued on your ex-spouse, nor can he/she continue the coverage under COBRA continuation. You will need to cancel spouse life coverage within 30 days. Your ex-spouse has the option to convert the amount to an individual insurance policy. Contact Employee Benefits for the form to cancel coverage and information on the conversion policy.

Flexible Spending Accounts

Divorce is considered a significant change in family status and qualifies for a change in election in a health care or dependent daycare flexible spending account. You must make your election change no later than 30 days after the date of your divorce.

Change Beneficiary Designation

Due to the divorce, you may wish to change the beneficiary designation for your retirement plan and life insurance. Contact Employee Benefits for more information.

Questions and Information

To cancel coverage, request forms, or for more information, call 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363 or send an email to