University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources

Birth or Adoption

Benefits Available

Within 30 days of the birth or adoption of your child, you may make the following changes to your benefits:

  • Add your child to your medical or dental plan with coverage effective on the date of birth or adoption. At this time, you can also add your spouse who has not been covered under the UPlan.
  • Enroll in a dependent daycare or health care flexible spending account or change the amount in your current account effective with the first full pay period following the date of birth or adoption
  • Add child life insurance for $10,000 without evidence of good health. If your first eligible child dies within 30 days of birth, but prior to enrolling for child coverage, a $10,000 benefit will be paid.

Call 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363 to reach the Employee Benefits Service Center to request these benefit changes. After the 30-day window, you need to wait until the next Open Enrollment to make changes.

NOTE: Minnesota Statue 1996, 62A.042 subd2, requires insurance plans to retroactively add newborns to family medical coverage at any time with payment of back premiums.

You can make the following changes at any time during the year:

  • Add or increase additional employee life insurance, subject to underwriting, up to $500,000 or, if greater, five times your annual base salary but not more than $1 million
  • Add spouse life insurance, subject to underwriting, up to a maximum of $500,000
  • Add or increase the amount of short-term disability, subject to underwriting
  • Update beneficiaries on your life insurance and retirement plans

Constructing a Leave

  • Determine how your benefits will be affected by your leave. Call 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363 to reach the Employee Benefits Service Center to discuss options if you have short-term disability insurance or plan to take a leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
  • Depending on your employment classification, your leave can use parental, sick, vacation, FMLA, and unpaid time. If you need help understanding programs and policies to plan the right leave for you, contact your HR Consultant.

Additional Changes

Update Your W-4 Tax Information

  • Update the number of federal and state withholding allowances

Paycheck Calculator

  • Calculate your net (take-home) pay, based on changes to your W-4 allowances