|Approved by the:
||Student Senate April 19, 2001
Administration - no action required
Board of Regents - no action required
STATEMENT ON THE VIKINGS/GOPHERS STADIUM PROPOSAL
By the Student Senate Consultative Committee of the University of Minnesota Student Senate
- Although much of the student body would like the Minnesota Vikings to stay in Minnesota, the University of Minnesota should focus on its primary mission: education. A new Vikings/Gophers stadium is not the top priority of the student body.
- Financial resources provided to University by students and taxpayers must be directed toward our primary mission: education.
- There must be appropriate consultation with the University community. The Student Senate Consultative Committee and appropriate campus student assemblies should be consulted during this process.
- In reviewing this proposal, the University should consider the relationship of this proposal to its priorities. If those priorities are met, then the University should consider the following factors in evaluating the stadium proposal:
- Impact on the campus life of students and how 50,000 or more additional people on campus will affect the daily lives of students and the community of which we are a part.
- No student services fees money should be used in connection with a new stadium
- Replacement of current surface lot parking must occur BEFORE current parking is lost due to a stadium.
- Parking in newly created ramps should be all-day commuter spots as currently in place in surface lots.
- Parking rates in these ramps should be affordable for students and not greatly increased above surface lot rates.
- Campus safety issues surrounding large events like football games.
- The impact a new stadium will have on the leases of buildings, within the area, that University departments and student organizations currently reside in.
- No University direct or indirect contribution to capital or infrastructure costs.
- Stadium activities must be compatible with University operations and values.