University of Minnesota
U Card Office


As a student, staff or faculty member of the Twin Cities campus you are eligible for a U Card, your official University of Minnesota photo ID card.

Your first U Card can be obtained at the U Card Office. Bring a government issued photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Military ID, Tribal ID or passport) and be prepared to have your picture taken.

Your U Card never expires, even after you leave the University. If you ever return as a student, staff or faculty member, your card will be reactivated based on your current University role status (student enrollment or staff/faculty role status). If you do not have your U Card upon returning to the University, you may be subject to a replacement card fee.

U Cards must NOT be collected by departments upon termination of employment, including student employment because of the services associated with your card. Additionally, never allow your U Card to be retained as collateral for department services.

Take good care of your U Card. A replacement fee will be assessed for replacement (lost, stolen or damaged) U Cards.

Your Eligibility Status...
Click below for your eligibility requirements and procedure to obtain your U Card.




I Don't Know My Role Status...

Picture of a U Card