University of Minnesota Foundation Year-end Gift Processing
December is the busiest month of the year for giving to the University, as many alumni and friends prefer to make their annual gifts before the end of the calendar year, for tax purposes. Because of this, the University of Minnesota Foundation will be open as usual on December 28-30 and gifts will be processed on those days. Donors may also stop by to personally drop off gifts at the 5th floor reception desk during regular business hours.
Please note these additional details to ensure that gifts are received and recorded as donors intend:
- Regular US mail will be delivered to Foundation offices December 28-30.
- Campus mail will not be delivered on those days.
- Gift receipts will contain the postmarked date from the envelope in which they were mailed. This date can be used for tax purposes. If you are forwarding gifts from another University office, be sure to include the envelope so that the postmarked date can be recorded on the receipt.
- Ask alumni and friends to mail their year-end gifts to the Foundation’s lockbox, to ensure that gifts are received and recorded within the 2010 tax year. That address is:
University of Minnesota
PO Box 70870
Saint Paul, MN 55170-3854
- As always, gifts will be directed to the program or college as designated by the donor.
- A small Foundation staff will be working on December 31 to accept gifts until 3:00 p.m.
- Applications for the match programs for new scholarship and fellowship gifts must also be submitted by December 31. Given the University closure, development officers are encouraged to work with donors to complete the necessary forms by mid-December, as the process can sometimes take longer to complete.