Earth Science ||
(Stars reflect Editor's rating of the quality of the source [4* scale].)
- Plato's Timaeus
- Dover Publications markets many classic texts at afforable prices. Find your own reference copy of Maxwell's original Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, Biringuccio's Pirotechnia, or D'Arcy Thompson's On Growth and Form. Also available are landmark history of science texts: for example, Hall's The Scientific Renaissance or Ihde's Development of Modern Chemistry. A complete catalog can be obtained by writing: 31 East 2nd St., Mineola NY 11501.
- Selected Classic Papers from the History of Chemisty**** -- organized by sub-topic; also arranged alphabetically by author. Co-hosted by Carmen Giunta at Lemoyne College and John Park of the ChemTeam. Some links to biographies and portraits. Includes a valuable GLOSSARY**** of archaic terms for interpreting older papers.
- David M. Knight, ed., Classical Scientific Papers: Chemistry (New York: American
Elsevier, 1968) and Classical Scientific Papers: Chemistry, Second Series (New York:
American Elsevier, 1970).
Biology (incl. Medicine)
- Galen, On the Natural Faculties
- William Harvey, De Motu Cordis... (On the Motion of the Heart and Blood in Animals, 1628)
- MendelWeb: Mendel's classic paper, with extensive commentary and historical resources **** [Roger Blumberg]
- Classical Papers in Genetics**** [Robert Robbins]
- Evolution**** -- includes Darwin's Origin of Species, Voyage of the Beagle (2nd ed.), Variation of Animals and Plants Under Domestication, Chambers' Vestiges, Malthus's essay, an 1855 Wallace paper. [Robert Robbins]
Earth Sciences (Geology, Astronomy, Meteorology, Oceanography)
Other Sciences (incl. Psychology)