University of Minnesota
Main navigation |
- Walk confidently; look ahead and make eye contact.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Don’t be distracted with electronic devices.
- Wear reflective-colored clothing at night to make you more visible.
- Walk with a friend.
- If you think you are being followed, divert your route to a populated area.
- Trust your instincts. If someone makes you uncomfortable, move away from that person.
- Drivers are required to stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk, but may not. Stay alert for oncoming traffic.
- Never leave any personal belonging unattended.
- Be careful of blind spots, or "No-Zones," around cars, trucks and buses. Always assume the driver does not know you are there.
- Use the FREE Campus Escort Service. Available 24/7 by calling 612-624-WALK (9255).
- Use sidewalks.
- Alert others of your presence.
- Remove skates indoors.