(Helpful tip: print page with Internet Explorer)
TCF Bank Stadium
On gamedays, drivers should anticipate congestion and delays while travelling to and around campus. Carpooling and alternate methods (transit, bike, walk) are highly recommended.
Because of limited road capacity around the stadium, fans should anticipate that streets around campus will be congested for about one hour after the game. Incidents on the roadways or freeways can increase exiting time.
Season Parking Passes | Day of Game (Single Game) Parking | Disability Parking | Free Fan Shuttles | Tailgating | Taxis | Charters
Traffic Management | Additional Transportation Options |
2013 Home Football Schedule
- Thursday, August 29 vs UNLV @ 6 p.m.
- Saturday, September 14 vs Western Illinois @ 11 a.m.
- Saturday, September 21 vs San Jose State @ 11 a.m.
- Saturday, September 28 vs Iowa @ 2:30 p.m. *homecoming
- Saturday, October 26 vs Nebraska @ 11 a.m.
- Saturday, November 9 vs Penn State @ 11 a.m.
- Saturday, November 23 vs Wisconsin @ 2:30 p.m.
Season Parking Passes for Football Fans
Football season ticket holders can pre-select their parking location and purchase a season parking pass.
The personalized maps below show selected parking locations and recommended travel routes into campus for each (certain campus roads may be closed to traffic). Note: this information is subject to change with construction.
||Our overview map of campus shows all parking options at a glance.
Day of Game (Single Game) Parking
Single game football parking will be available in the following locations:
- East Bank
- St. Paul -
- West Bank
All single game parking is based on availability. As a parking facility fills, parking attendants may direct you to the nearest available location.
- Season ticket holders with a state-issued disability permit or plates may purchase a season parking pass in either Maroon Lot or Gold Lot. Contact the Athletics Ticket Office at 612-624-8080.
- Day-of-game disability parking ($20) is available at the University Avenue Ramp.
- A drop-off for disability patrons will be located adjacent to the stadium along the north side of University Avenue.
- Gopher Athletics will be running an Ambassador Shuttle (6-passenger golf carts) from University Avenue Ramp to the stadium for patrons with disabilities or those who cannot walk long distances. Contact the Athletics Office at 612-624-8080.
- For a University Paratransit van from other parking facilities, call 612-624-8338 for pick-up and drop-off service.
RV parking is available on game day only for $40 in the State Fairgrounds Lot S108 in St. Paul.
Season ticket holders with RVs will be in the Gateway Lot. Overnight parking is not allowed.
FREE Fan Shuttles
On home gamedays, free Gopher Football Shuttles will bring patrons from St. Paul to TCF Bank Stadium.
- The St. Paul Gopher Football Shuttle stops at two locations:
- Lot S108 (St. Paul fairgrounds lot)
- TCF Bank Stadium (East Bank)
- The St. Paul Gopher Football Shuttle runs every 15 minutes starting 3 hours before the game and increases to 5-10 minute service as needed.
- During the game, these shuttles run every 15 minutes.
- After the game, these shuttles run continuously until the crowd is clear.
After this time, see the Campus Connector information paragraph below.
- Dedicated shuttles for those with disabilities or in need of extra assistance are available. The St. Paul disability shuttle, post-game, loads on the west side of 23rd Avenue where the shuttle drops off pre-game.
- All Gopher Football Shuttles are low-floor, one-level buses and are equipped with wheelchair lifts.
The University's Campus Connector runs from West Bank to East Bank to St. Paul and operates on its regular weekend schedule (every 20 minutes from 9:30 a.m. until midnight). See a gameday map of the routes and stops.
The University of Minnesota permits tailgating on football game days in designated surface parking lots, during specified hours and under other general conditions.
- Tailgating may begin 6 hours before game time, but no earlier than 7 am.
- Tailgating must end 4 hours after game time or midnight, whichever comes first.
- All vehicles must leave the parking lots when they close at midnight.
- Green space within a parking lot or within 15 feet of a designated surface parking lot may be used for tailgating by the participants assigned to that parking lot.
- Tailgating is NOT permitted on any other University of Minnesota property, including parking ramps and garages.
These policies are intended to enhance the football game day experience, promote a safe campus environment and preserve the beauty of our campus.
To view more details, please view the University's Tailgating Policy and the TCF Bank Stadium Tailgating page.
PTS and other University departments have partnered with local and state transportation officials to create a comprehensive parking and traffic plan for Gopher football fans to provide the best campus travel experience possible.
- PTS has developed a traffic management plan designed to ease congestion and ensure safe, efficient movement through campus on game days.
- Officers are stationed at key intersections, parking access points and pedestrian crossings
- Special event signal timing will be implemented
- Pre-game –favors inbound traffic
- Post-game –favors outbound traffic
- Local electronic message signs alert drivers of event-related parking information
- An on-campus traffic management center monitors Minnesota Department of Transportation (Mn/DOT) and local video feeds
- Watch for back-ups/incidents
- Communicate messages to the public via electronic message signs
- On-street parking is temporarily restricted at select locations to promote efficient traffic flow
- Some streets immediately adjacent to TCF Bank Stadium are partially or fully closed to accommodate large pedestrian volumes before and after events
- For parking facilities north of University Avenue, season ticket holders are encouraged to use University Avenue via I-35W or Highway 280
- For facilities south of University Avenue, season ticket holders are encouraged to use Huron Avenue and Washington Avenue
Pre-game - these traffic restrictions are in effect:
- 23rd Avenue between University Avenue and 6th Street is one-way northbound.
- Oak Street is closed from 4th to 5th Streets.
- During periods of high pedestrian activity, traffic control officers may restrict left and right turns from University Avenue eastbound to Oak Street.
Post-game - the following traffic restrictions are in effect:
- 23rd Avenue is closed to both directions of traffic from 6th Street to the Gopher Lot.
- 23rd Avenue between the Gopher Lot and University Avenue is one-way southbound.
- Erie Street between Essex and Fulton Streets is restricted to local traffic.
- 5th/6th Street from the Gold and Maroon Lots to 15th Avenue is one-way westbound.
- 6th Street from the Gold, Ski-U-Mah and Victory Lots to 25th Avenue is one-way eastbound.
- 25th Avenue from 6th to 4th Streets is one-way southbound.
- 17th Avenue is one-way southbound from the 4th Street Ramp to 4th Street until traffic clears on 5th Street. Once traffic clears, vehicles exiting the 4th St. Ramp may leave via 4th or 5th Streets.
- Essex Street between the Oak St. Ramp and Oak Street is one-way westbound.
On Street Parking Restrictions
In addition to regularly marked parking restrictions, parking at the following on-street locations will be prohibited on game days. Vehicles will be tagged and towed. These locations will be signed as “No Parking” at least 24 hours in advance of all game days.
- Oak Street between 4th and 5th Streets (east side of roadway)
- 5th Street between 17th Avenue and Oak Street (south side of roadway)
- 25th Avenue between the cul-de-sac north of 6th Street and 4th Street (both sides of roadway)
- 25th Avenue between 4th Street and University Avenue (west side of roadway)
- Essex Street between Erie Street and Huron Boulevard (north side of roadway)
- Fulton Street between Oak Street and Huron Boulevard (both sides of roadway)
- 4th Street between 23rd and 25th Avenues (south side of roadway)
- Huron Boulevard between Essex and Delaware Streets (east side)
- Essex Street between Erie Street and Huron Boulevard (north side)
Additional Transportation Options
For those who would rather avoid driving to campus on game days, there are a number of transportation choices.
Metro Transit offers fast, frequent service to TCF Bank Stadium on several bus routes. Or take the train to Downtown East-Metrodome Station where you can catch a #16 bus for a short ride to the stadium. Visit Metro Transit for personalized trip planning.
Biking is a great option for coming to the game.
- Use the bike lanes around campus to get here. A few good choices are:
- 5th Street SE
- 4th Street SE
- University Avenue
- Find bike routes at cyclopath.org
- FREE bike parking is located on the south side of the stadium, adjacent to University Avenue SE and throughout campus. These spots are available three hours before the game, but are removed TWO HOURS after the game ends.
- If you want to leave your bike longer than two hours after the game, use the permanent bike parking racks near gates A, B, C or D.
Motorcycles are treated the same as cars. Motorcyclists can park in any cash lot for single game football parking by paying the public event rate or they can purchase a regular football season parking pass with their season tickets.
Taxi Pick-up and Drop-off
A taxi stand is located along University Avenue on the south side of the stadium (see map). Taxis will stop in the east end of the pullout bay heading westbound on University Ave. U-turns can be made at the University Avenue/Huron Boulevard traffic signal. A second post-game-only taxi loading area will be at the west side of the stadium at the corner of Oak and 4th Street. Stopping at the through-lanes of Oak Street is prohibited.
All charter operations are required to use the City of Minneapolis Charter Bus parking system. Buses will be assigned to designated zones near TCF Bank Stadium and will need to display a printable permit.
Click here to purchase your parking.
The personalized maps below show the two charter bus parking locations and recommended travel routes into campus for each (certain campus roads may be closed to traffic).
Charter Bus Parking Map
Back-Up (Overflow) Charter Bus Parking Map
U Community Information
Contract Parking on Game Day
Saturday Class Students
OV & Vendor Contracts
Loading Zone Contracts
University Contract Parking Information
Individuals who are not attending the game or are not scheduled for work-related activities are encouraged to avoid campus. Do your part to help us reduce campus congestion.
Faculty, staff and commuter students with a 24-hour EAST BANK parking contract will be able to use their contract on game days, but not in their regular contract locations. On game days, contract holders will be required to park in the East River Road Garage.
Those with West Bank and St. Paul contracts will park in their regularly assigned facility.
Students with a residential hall parking contract will be able to park in their assigned facility (regardless of where the parking contract is located).
Automatic keycard readers should be operational on football game days. Hangtag contract holders will need to show their hangtag to the parking attendant to gain entrance. In general, the alternate location becomes effective at midnight on Friday for Saturday games.
Requests for exceptions must be submitted to and approved by appropriate collegiate dean or vice president. All approved exceptions must be sent to Parking and Transportation Services AT LEAST FIVE BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR to the requested date. PTS will respond to the request based on facility space availability.
- University vehicles may remain in their assigned locations on football game days.
- The reciprocal parking benefit for University parking contract holders is not available on football Saturdays.
For students who are taking Saturday classes, PTS offers a discounted $6 parking rate in three locations:
- East River Road Garage - East Bank
- 19th & 21st Avenue Ramps - West Bank
- Gortner Avenue Ramp - St. Paul
Students MUST show the parking attendant TWO things to receive the reduced rate:
- your U Card (University ID) and
- a copy of your registration into that Saturday class.
You can print your registration on your MyU Portal (under "My Courses & Teaching" and " Active" tabs) or from OneStop (under the Quick Link "Registration" on the right column and "Enrollment Summary" for Fall 2013 semester).
Game Day Impact on Official Vehicle/Vendor Contracts
Here are some key points for vendor contract holders:
- Official vehicle/vendor spaces can be used on game days; however the vehicle must have a state license plate (absolutely NO private or personal vehicles allowed on game days)
- Your contract is NOT valid at meters on game days
- If you have a day-of emergency, please contact PTS as soon as possible at 612-626-PARK
Game Day Impact on Loading Zone Contracts
Here are some key points for loading zone contract holders:
- Most loading zone spaces are available during game days; however the vehicle must have a state license plate (absolutely NO private or personal vehicles allowed on game days)
- Spaces near the TCF Bank Stadium will NOT be available on game days
- If you have a day-of emergency, please contact PTS as soon as possible (prior to parking) with the details at 612-626-PARK.