(Helpful tip: print page with Internet Explorer)
Tailgating Rules at TCF Bank Stadium
The University of Minnesota permits tailgating on football game event days in designated areas, during specified hours, and under the conditions outlined. These rules are intended to enhance the Stadium event experience, promote a safe campus environment, and preserve the beauty of the campus.
Summary of Points to Know
- The University does NOT allow open fires fueled by charcoal, wood, or other combustible materials.
- Tailgating may begin 6 hours before game time, but no earlier than 7 am.
- Tailgating must end 4 hours after game time or midnight, whichever comes first.
- All vehicles must leave the parking lots when they close at midnight.
- Green space within a parking lot or within 15 feet of a designated surface parking lot may be used for tailgating by the participants assigned to that parking lot.
- Tailgating is NOT permitted on any other University of Minnesota property, including parking ramps and garages.
Tailgating is permitted only in designated surface parking lots. Green space within a parking lot or within 15 feet of a parking lot may be used for tailgating by the participants assigned to that parking lot. The following is the list of designated tailgating lots.
- Discovery Lot
- Gateway Lot
- Gold Lot (Gophers games only)
- Gopher Lot (Gophers games only)
- Maroon Lot (Gophers games only)
- Minnesota Lot (Gophers games only)
- Ski-U-Mah Lot
- Victory Lot
- Lot C33
- Lot C37
- Lot C55
- Lot C56
- Lot C58
- Lot C59
- Lot C86
- Lot 94 (Gophers games only)
- Lot S108 -- State Fairgrounds (based on lease agreement when State Fair is not in session)
Tailgating is not permitted anywhere else on University of Minnesota property, including parking ramps and parking garages.
Tailgating is restricted to the following times.
- Tailgating may begin 6 hours before event start, but no earlier than 7:00 AM.
- Tailgating must end 4 hours after event end, or 12:00 midnight, whichever comes first.
- Weekday events may have varying hours (specific hours will be available on the event website.)
- RV tailgating lots may have varying hours (specific hours will be available on the event website).
When tailgating hours end, all tailgating supplies must be properly disposed of or stored in a vehicle. Vehicles may remain in a parking lot until the lot closes at midnight.
Activities and Equipment
The following items and activities are allowed in tailgating lots:
- Gas grills with a maximum propane cylinder size of 20 pounds
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons of legal drinking age, and in conformance with all applicable state laws, city ordinances, and University policies
- Portable outdoor furniture
- Tents and awnings that do no block adjacent parking spaces, impede drive aisles, or require the use of stakes.
- Portable generators, if their noise and exhaust does not interfere with others' enjoyment, and are safely used
The following items and activities are not allowed in tailgating lots:
- Kegs, party balls, drinking game accessories, and large quantity or common source containers of alcoholic beverages
- Glass containers of any kind, including bottles and cups
- Open fires fueled by charcoal, wood, or other combustible materials of any kind
- Pets, except service animals
- Weapons, as defined in Board of Regents Policy: Possession and Carrying of Weapons
- Disruptive music or noise
- Couches or other large furniture items
- Promotional or marketing activities without appropriate authorization from the University
- Sale of products, food, or beverages except as authorized by the University
- Occupying more than one parking space
- Saving a parking space for someone else
- Obstructing adjacent parking spaces and drive aisles
In addition to the above, the following rules apply to the student tailgating lot:
- Beer and wine (in the possession of students of legal age) are permitted
- Hard alcohol (distilled spirits) are not allowed