The university sees a high volume of traffic around campus so your best strategy is to plan ahead.
Rates can vary by facility type and are posted at each entrance and on the Parking Rates webpage. View campus maps for locations.
During events, there are a few things to note:
- Some parking facilities change rates for special events
- Event rates go into effect between two and three hours before the event
- During events, only cash and checks are accepted (no credit cards)
- Check the PTS Event Calendar for a consolidated listing of events
- To bypass event rates, try these tips:
- Park at a facility that doesn't charge event rates: East River Road Garage, Weisman Art Museum Garage or 19th Avenue Ramp.
- With a free hangtag permit, evening students can pay $6 at East River Road Garage when space is available, Monday - Thursday after 4:30 p.m. Permits are obtained at One Stop Student Services, 333 Science Teaching & Student Services, 222 Pleasant Street SE. Call 612-624-1111 for more information.
- Meter parking around campus is only meant for short term parking.
- Time limits vary from 12 minutes to four hours
- Rates are posted on each meter
- University parking meters are free on official University holidays (unless during special events).
- Gopher football games are events on campus where special rules apply
Note: The City of Minneapolis also has meters on campus and their guidelines may differ from the university
If you have a private company (AAA or any service station) come to assist with your vehicle (unlock the vehicle, tow it out, replace the windshield, etc.) while it is parked in a University of Minnesota parking facility, be sure the company knows they will need to pay the posted parking charge (either entering or exiting).
Click on the box above for details on campus safety initiatives.