ASSAULT AND ARMED ROBBERY - 17th and Rollins Avenue SE and 20th and Talmage Avenue SE
POSTED: April 15, 2013
In the early morning hours of Saturday April 13, University of Minnesota Police assisted the Minneapolis Police Department with two off-campus incidents that included University of Minnesota students as victims.
At 1:50 a.m. University officers responded with Minneapolis Police to a report of a man with a gun at 17th and Rollins SE. A male University of Minnesota student walked past two groups having a confrontation of some sort. One party pointed a dark handgun at the student and told him to keep walking. The student did so, was not harmed, but feared for his safety. He called police and made an assault report. This is a Minneapolis Police investigation Case MP-13-110880.
While officers were completing the above report a second call came in of a robbery of person. Officers responded and met two additional male victims, one of whom was a University of Minnesota student. While walking at 20th and Talmage SE the two victims reported being approached from behind by a pair of males, one of whom produced a handgun and robbed them of their property. They were not otherwise injured. This is a Minneapolis Police investigation Case MP-13-110903.
Due to the timing, location, and suspect description we believe there is a high probability the same suspects are involved.
The first suspect is a white male, 18 to 22 years old, between five feet six inches and five feet ten inches tall with a light build. The suspect was wearing a blue “letterman” jacket, with light colored sleeves, and a flat brimmed dark colored baseball hat. He was armed with the handgun.
The second suspect is a black male, 18 to 22 years old, between five feet six inches and five feet ten inches tall with a medium build. No further description is available at this time.
Minneapolis Police are investigating these off-campus crimes. Anyone with information is asked to call the Minneapolis Police Tip Line at 612-692-8477. Reference case MP-13-110880 with information on the first incident described, and case MP-13-110903 for the second robbery.
The University of Minnesota Police Department asks that you remember the following:
* Walking with someone is the easiest way to ensure your safety late at night and on the weekends. If you can’t find someone to walk with, call the Campus Escort Service at 612-624-WALK for a free security escort, seven days a week, 24-7. On the weekends, call the Gopher Chauffeur at 612-388-6911 for free transportation to and from area destinations.
* Always be aware of your surroundings because when you are distracted you make an easier target.
* When threatened with a weapon, it's best not to resist. Your personal safety is more important than a lost wallet or cell phone.
* Carry minimal amounts of valuables.
* Keep written records of valuables, including model and serial numbers, in a safe place.
* Call 911 immediately if you are the victim or witness to a crime.
* Document information about the suspect for police (i.e. clothing descriptions, facial features, piercings or tattoos, speech, etc.).
The University of Minnesota issues Crime Alerts for crimes that may pose an ongoing threat to the University community. These alerts are to aid the campus community in their safety and are in compliance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.
For updates on any developments in this case, please visit the Crime Alerts page on the UMPD website. For more on campus safety and security, and for a list of campus safety resources available to you, visit the University's Safety and Security website.