ARMED ROBBERY - 7th Street SE between 13th Avenue SE and 14th Avenue SE
POSTED: December 8, 2011
On Tuesday, December 6 at approximately 10:15 p.m., a University of Minnesota student was the victim of a robbery. The crime occurred off campus in the Marcy Holmes neighborhood near the intersection of 14th Avenue SE and 7th Street SE, just north of the Dinkytown Area. (see map)
The victim was walking home when the suspect came up from behind and forcibly grabbed her backpack as she was wearing it. The victim did not see a weapon; however, the suspect shouted that he would shoot her if she followed him as he ran westbound on 7th Street SE. The victim was not injured in the robbery but lost a number of items in the backpack.
The suspect is described as black male between the ages of 18 and 25 years old and approximately five feet, eleven inches tall. The suspect was wearing a gray jacket with fur around the hood and dark sweatpants.
The Minneapolis Police Department is investigating this off-campus crime. Anyone with information is asked to call the Minneapolis Police Department tip line at 612-692-8477 and reference case number MP-11-364451.
The University of Minnesota Police Department asks that you remember the following:
* An analysis of robberies that have occurred in the area in 2011 show that in at least two of the incidents the victim was on a mobile phone when they were approached from behind by the suspects. Always be aware of your surroundings because when you are distracted you make an easier target.
* When threatened with a weapon, it's best not to resist. Your personal safety is more important than a lost wallet or cell phone.
* Walk in well lit areas and don't walk alone. If you can't find someone to walk with, call the Campus Escort service at 612-624-WALK for a free security escort.
* Carry minimal amounts of valuables.
* Keep written records of valuables, including model and serial numbers, in a safe place.
*Call 911 immediately if you are the victim or witness to a crime.
*Document information about the suspect for police (i.e. clothing descriptions, facial features, piercings or tattoos, speech, etc.).
This Crime Alert is sent in compliance with the federal Clery Act which requires universities to alert the campus community of crimes that may pose an ongoing threat to students and employees. For updates on any developments in this case, please visit the Crime Alerts page on the UMPD website: http://www1.umn.edu/police/alerts.html