ARMED ROBBERY - 7th Street SE between 13th Avenue SE and 14th Avenue SE
POSTED: November 22, 2011
On Friday, November 18th at approximately 10:30 p.m. a University of Minnesota student was the victim of an armed robbery. The crime occurred off campus on 7th Street SE between 13th Avenue SE and 14th Avenue SE in the Marcy-Holmes neighborhood (see map below).
The suspects came up behind the victim, pushed him to the ground and held him down. One of the suspects threatened the victim with a handgun and demanded valuables while two other suspects went through the victims pockets. The victim was not injured in the attack but did lose a number of items.
The three suspects in the robbery are described as black males, 17 to 21 years old. All were five feet seven inches to five feet 11 inches tall with light to medium builds. The suspect who held the gun wore dark clothing and a black jacket, and had a short fade haircut.
Minneapolis Police are investigating this off-campus robbery. Anyone with information is asked to call the Minneapolis Police Department tip line at 612-692-8477 and reference case number MP-11-348465.
The University of Minnesota Police Department asks that you remember the following:
* An analysis of robberies that have occurred in the area in 2011 show that in at least two of the incidents the victim was on a mobile phone when they were approached from behind by the suspects. Always be aware of your surroundings because when you are distracted you make an easier target.
* When threatened with a weapon, it's best not to resist. Your personal safety is more important than a lost wallet or cell phone.
* Walk in well lit areas and don't walk alone. If you can't find someone to walk with, call the Campus Escort service at 612-624-WALK for a free security escort.
* Carry minimal amounts of valuables.
* Keep written records of valuables, including model and serial numbers, in a safe place.
*Call 911 immediately if you are the victim or witness to a crime.
*Document information about the suspect for police (i.e. clothing descriptions, facial features, piercings or tattoos, speech, etc.).
This Crime Alert is sent in compliance with the federal Clery Act which requires universities to alert the campus community of crimes that may pose an ongoing threat to students and employees. For updates on any developments in this case, please visit the Crime Alerts page on the UMPD website: http://www1.umn.edu/police/alerts.html