ARMED ROBBERY - Stadium View Apartments 2508 Delaware Street SE
POSTED: August 23, 2013
On Monday, August 19, just after 10:00 p.m., a robbery occurred off campus at the Stadium View Apartments at 2508 Delaware St. SE (see map below).
The victim, who is a University of Minnesota student, was with two other people when a male suspect approached the group and asked for a cigarette. The victim gave him one, and then the suspect demanded her mobile phone. When the victim declined to give it to him, he pointed a small black handgun at her. The victim then gave the suspect her phone, and the suspect ran from the area. The victim was not injured.
The suspect is described as a black male with a medium complexion, between the ages of 20 and 30 years old, approximately five feet, 10 inches tall with a medium build and short black hair. The suspect was wearing a black jacket with pockets in the front and a hood.
Minneapolis Police are investigating this off-campus crime. Anyone with information is asked to call the Minneapolis Police Tip Line at 612-692-8477 and reference case MP-13-272307.
The University of Minnesota Police Department asks that you remember the following:
* Walking with someone is the easiest way to ensure your safety late at night and on the weekends. If you canít find someone to walk with, call the Campus Escort Service at 612-624-WALK for a free security escort, seven days a week, 24-7. On the weekends, call the Gopher Chauffeur at 612-388-6911 for free transportation to and from area destinations.
* Donít let a stranger borrow your phone or allow yourself to be distracted by talking on the phone or texting. When you are distracted you make an easier target.
* When threatened with a weapon, it's best not to resist. Your personal safety is more important than a lost wallet or cell phone.
* Carry minimal amounts of valuables.
* Keep written records of valuables, including model and serial numbers, in a safe place.
* Call 911 immediately if you are the victim or witness to a crime.
* Document information about the suspect for police (i.e. clothing descriptions, facial features, piercings or tattoos, speech, etc.).
The University of Minnesota issues Crime Alerts for crimes that may pose an ongoing threat to the University community. These alerts are to aid the campus community in their safety and are in compliance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.