Parent Home > News and Events > Seasonal Updates

Seasonal Update

Fall Update

As the seasons change, so does the information parents need to know. See below for an abbreviated academic calendar for fall semester, links to the fall semester tuition payment schedule, safety information, resources for off-campus living, student employment, study abroad preparation, and resources for students.


Summer Dates

August 2014

August 25–26

Move-In for freshman residence hall students.

August 27–September 1

Welcome Week.

August 28–31

Transfer Welcome Days.


Abbreviated Academic Calendar

September 2014

September 1

Last day to enroll for fall without incurring late enrollment fees.
Labor Day holiday.

September 2

Fall full semester and first 7-week session classes begin.

September 9

Last day to cancel first 7-week fall semester courses and full term fall semester courses for 100% refund.

September 16

Last day for undergraduates to apply for fall graduation. See Degree Application Deadlines on the One Stop website. (Professional school students obtain an Application for Degree form and detailed graduation instructions from your program office or website.)

October 2014

October 27

Last day to cancel second 7-week fall semester courses and receive a 100% refund.

November 2014

November 11

Registration for students admitted to degree or certificate programs begins for spring semester 2015.

November 27-28

Holiday. Classes excused and University offices closed.

December 2014

December 5

Open registration for non-degree-seeking students begins for spring 2015.

December 10

Last day of instruction.

December 12, 13, 15–18

Final examinations.

December 18

End of fall semester.

December 25, 26

Holiday. University offices closed.

January 2015

January 1, 2

Holiday. University offices closed.

January 19

University closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day holiday

January 20

Spring full semester and first 7-week session classes begin.


For more calendar information see

Fall semester tuition payment schedule.


Campus Safety and Security Tips: The Twin Cities campus is among the safest college campuses in the country. Parking facilities, skyways, and tunnels are monitored 24 hours a day with the aid of security cameras and security monitors. Alarm buttons and emergency phones are located around campus. However, safety is everyone’s responsibility. Here are nine tips to help keep your student's experience at the University of Minnesota as safe as possible:

  1. To report an emergency: Dial 9-1-1
  2. For non-emergency or general information, the University of Minnesota Police Department can be reached at 612-624-COPS.
  3. Campus Security Monitors and Escorts: 612-624-WALK. The Security Monitor Program offers a walking/biking escort service to and from campus locations and nearby adjacent neighborhoods. This service is available completely free to students, staff, faculty, and visitors to the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus. To request an escort from a trained student security monitor, please call 624-WALK shortly before your desired departure time and walk safe.
  4. The University provides services to assist students as they navigate campus through several transportation options.
    • Campus Connector bus service between the Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses until 2 a.m. during the academic year.
    • The Washington Avenue Bridge Circulator and East Bank Circulator bus services to 2 a.m., Monday through Thursday.
    • Weekend Circulator bus service between the East and West Banks Fridays from 6:30 p.m. to 2 a.m.; Saturdays from 9:30 a.m. to 2 a.m; and Sundays from 9:30 a.m. until 2 a.m.
    • A free ride service, Gopher Chauffeur from 10 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights during the academic year.
  5. When walking, biking, or running on the university campus, please take into account the following safety tips:
    • At night, walk with a friend if possible. If you have no one to walk with, call the University's campus escort service at 624-WALK.
    • Avoid shortcuts. Take well-traveled and well-lit walkways.
    • Be alert and aware of the people and environment around you.
    • Trust your instincts. If someone makes you uncomfortable, even in daylight, do what is necessary to move away from them.
    • If you feel that someone is following you, go immediately to a nearby location where there are more people.
    • Know the locations of the special 'Code Blue' emergency phones on campus (see below). Please call the University Police at 624-COPS (2677) to find out campus locations.
  6. Code Blue Phones: If you are in need of emergency assistance, the Code Blue Emergency Phone will provide instant two-way communication with University Police with the push of one button. Located throughout the Minneapolis and St. Paul Campuses, they are all equipped with a lighted faceplate, a Code Blue Beacon and a high-powered strobe. You can call 624-COPS (2677) or see maps for the Code Blue Emergency Phones.
  7. When driving and parking on the university campus, please take into account the following safety tips:
    • Keep your vehicle locked at all times when it's parked AND when you are driving it. Keep the windows rolled up high enough so that an intruder cannot reach inside.
    • When you return to your vehicle, look around it and inside it before you get in.
    • Keep your vehicle well maintained. Make sure you have enough gasoline to reach your destination.
    • If you will be returning to your vehicle at night, park in a place that will be well lit when you return.
    • If your vehicle breaks down, remain inside it with the doors locked. If anyone stops to help, ask them to go call a tow truck or the police for you.
    • NEVER pick up hitchhikers. This is extremely dangerous.
    • Keep valuables (CDs, tapes, purses, briefcases, etc.) out of sight. Lock bags and packages in the car's trunk.
  8. University of Minnesota crime statistics are public information, and are available on the University Police website.
  9. Anonymous tip line: Call 612-626-TIPS (8477) and leave a message with the necessary info.
  10. The University’s Aurora Center for Advocacy and Education provides crisis intervention and advocacy services to victim/survivors of sexual and relationship violence, harassment and stalking. Their 24-hour crisis line is: 612-626-9111.

The University of Minnesota believes that your safety is of utmost importance. Please remember that personal safety is your responsibility—do what you think is best under the circumstances. Above all, stay alert and be cautious.

Student Employment

See information about on- and off-campus jobs, work-study, and the documentation students need when they begin working.

Resources for Off-Campus Living

University Legal Services Tenant Resource Guide
Off Campus Listings Service
Minneapolis inspection resources.

Also see this online workshop that provides parents with information that may be helpful as students consider moving to an apartment.

Midterm Alerts

Instructors who teach introductory-level courses (courses designated as 1000-level, generally taken by first-year students) will send midterm alerts to any student who appears to be in danger of receiving a grade of D, F, or N, based on classroom performance in the first six weeks of the semester. Notice must be sent by the eighth week of the semester. Some instructors will notify all students of their progress in the 1000-level courses, but they are only required to contact those who are doing unsatisfactory work. Students can find information on how to improve their study habits or where to find tutoring help at the One Stop website.


Resources for Students

After the first few weeks of classes, first-year students begin to realize that time management really is important, finances can get out of hand, and the friends they first made at the University may not be quite what they expected. Upperclassmen have different challenges—sophomores might be bored when they discover that the newness of their freshman year is gone; juniors can be challenged by the courses in their major; and seniors are already beginning to think about what comes next.

The University provides assistance for these issues and more through multiple resources.

Residence hall staff: Those who live in a residence hall can turn first to their Community Adviser (CA). CAs are the upperclassmen who live on the floor with residents. (They used to be called RAs, or Residence Advisers.) They have been trained to direct students to the appropriate resources. If a student does not feel like he or she can contact the CA, the residence hall director or assistant director in the hall can help. Each hall has professional staff members who work with students to solve problems or guide them to someone else who can help. Students can ask at the hall's front desk for the residence hall director or an assistant director, and these are good people for students to meet! They know student issues, they live on campus, and they know of multiple opportunities for student involvement.

Commuter advisers: For first-year students who live off campus, the Commuter Advisers can provide all the guidance and direction that residence hall CAs offer. The Commuter Office is located on the second floor of Coffman Memorial Union. The phone number is 612-625-4668.

Academic advisers: Students with concerns related to their classes or majors can talk to an academic adviser. If they don't remember the name or contact information for their adviser, they can contact their college's student affairs or student services office. Academic advisers can also direct students to assistance for personal or other non-academic concerns, and they can recommend student groups and academic opportunities that are sponsored by the colleges. A list of college advising offices is located at the One Stop website.

Additional academic support: Students can find information on tutoring, help with developing study skills, or other academic support services by checking the One Stop website.

Counseling staff: University Counseling & Consulting Services (UCCS) has counselors and mental health professionals on staff who can help with personal issues and who can provide support for academic issues, career selection, and general problem solving. Students can make an appointment or visit UCCS during open appointment hours. The phone number is 612-624-3323.

Many other offices can also provide help to students with questions and problems:

Boynton Health Service provides medical, psychological, and health management services.

Career advising is available in all colleges.

The Center for Academic Planning and Exploration (CAPE) provides personalized services to help undergraduate students develop an action plan to aid in their major and career decision-making process.

The Student Unions & Activities Office in Coffman Memorial Union can help students get involved.

The Orientation & First-Year Programs website offers tips for a successful first-year and other helpful information. As a rule of thumb, however, when students are unsure who to talk to, the first step is probably their CA or their academic adviser.

Study Abroad Preparation

Students who are considering studying or working abroad are encouraged to attend a "First Step" meeting offered by the Learning Abroad Center. These meetings are 30 minute sessions that guide students as they begin the search for an international study or work program. More information can be found on the First Step program website. Students should work with a Study Abroad adviser as well as their academic adviser as they plan for an international experience in order to ensure that their study or work abroad program supports their academic goals and keeps them on track for graduation.