Parent Home > News and Events > Articles > Parent Orientation FAQs

Parent Orientation FAQs

From the 2011 Parent Orientation Newsletter

Q: Can I accompany my student to the advising session for course registration?

A: The adviser needs to focus on your student during the advising session to make sure that the student understands academic requirements and options. Having additional people attend the session interferes with the relationship between the student and the adviser.

Course selection requires decisions, but it is not a painful process. It is important for the student to take responsibility for establishing academic goals and career decisions. Your student will feel much more committed to his or her academic program—and will achieve a first significant accomplishment—by working through this process personally with his or her adviser.

Q: How can my student buy books before classes start?

A: Your student can determine what textbooks he or she will need for fall semester by going to the University of Minnesota Bookstores website and clicking on “Books.” Students will be asked for their University Internet ID and password, and the website will generate a book list directly from their registration records.

Students may print the list and bring it to the Bookstore, or they may purchase books online starting Aug. 1. Online orders are shipped via UPS; nominal shipping and handling charges will be added to the order.

Instructors are still submitting textbook requirements for fall, so your student may need to check back later in the summer for a complete listing.

Q: If my student has been assigned to expanded housing, when will a permanent space be available?

A: Since the circumstances that open up rooms to students in expanded housing are difficult to anticipate (e.g., other students canceling or not showing up at the beginning of the year), University Housing cannot predict how quickly students in expanded housing will be able to move into permanent spaces. It is possible that students will remain in expanded housing for a good portion of the year, but most of those students will probably have been reassigned to standard spaces by the start of spring semester. Housing staff will have more detailed information for students assigned to expanded housing and will also provide them with periodic updates as to when they can expect to move into standard rooms.

Q: Can commuters get a meal plan?

A: Can my residence hall student change the meal plan he or she selected? Anyone possessing a valid U card may participate in the meal plan and FlexDine Dollars. In addition to the standard plans available to residential students, commuters may also choose from a variety of meal plans designed specifically for them.

All meal plans consist of a combination of all-you-care-to-eat meals and FlexDine. Students may change their fall semester meal plan online before arriving on campus or within the first two weeks of fall semester classes. Log in to the Housing and Residential Life website to change your fall meal plan. For additional information about meal plan options, see the University Dining Services website or call 612-624-0558.