Minnesota Parents Association
From the 2011 Parent Orientation Newsletter
To help parents negotiate the college years, all parents receive the University Parent newsletter by mail, have access to the Parent website, can sign up for biweekly email updates, and can contact the University Parent office with questions or concerns.
Parents who are interested in greater involvement are encouraged to join the Minnesota Parents Association.
Jodi Dworkin of Department of Family Social Science says, “A community of parents provides support, ideas, and resources as families negotiate their ‘revised’ parenting role during the college experience."
The University of Minnesota Parent Program developed the Minnesota Parents Association in collaboration with the University of Minnesota Alumni Association.
The $60 membership offers parents and their students all the Alumni Association’s benefits:
- A subscription to Minnesota, the Alumni Association’s magazine
- A 10 percent discount at the U of M Bookstore (excludes textbooks, college rings, medical reference books, caps and gowns, and electronics)
- Special rates on travel and hotels, including the Radisson and Days Inn on campus
- Access to two University Libraries online databases
- Monthly email updates on membership rewards and campus happenings
Members also receive special communications and services for parents:
- Group discounts on arts programs and athletic events on campus
- Invitations to University events held around the state and the nation
- An international service-learning trip for parents and students