U of M Parent Program: Parent’s Link to Campus
Whether your student is still living at home or has moved to campus, parents continue to be an important part of his or her life. Your family relationship contributes to student success, and the Parent Program is here to support your role as a parent of a college student. The Parent Program understands the support parents provide to students, the University, and the community. In turn, we are your link to campus. We strive to provide parents of our students with information regarding the college experience and resources available to you.
The University of Minnesota and the Parent Program provide several services to parents and families of our students, including:
- Parent Email Updates: The email newsletter provides you with the most current information and University news. This email is sent about every two weeks. Sign up for updates by sending your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- University Parent Website: Our website (www.umn.edu/parent) provides information specifically for parents of U of M students. The rotating stories on the front page link to news stories and websites across the University. You can also answer the Question of the Month in order to give us feedback on topics related to the University, students, and parents.
- University Parent: A newsletter mailed to parents of full-time undergraduate students published August, December, and March. Past issues can be found on the University Parent website.
- University of Minnesota Parent Program Facebook and Pinterest: Join our Facebook page for links to news stories and photos of the day from around campus. To join the University of Minnesota Parent Program Facebook page, sign into your Facebook account, link to the page from our Parent Program website, and become a fan. Also, look for the University of Minnesota Parent Program on Pinterest.
- Parent Orientation: This program, offered by Orientation & First-Year Programs, is an opportunity for parents to become familiar with the University, get questions answered about resources and opportunities, and find out what to expect the first year.
- Move-In Day Receptions: After moving your student into residence halls, you can take a break and give your student time to settle in. This is a chance to talk to Parent Program staff and other parents and ask University staff any last-minute questions.
- Parents Weekend: A few weeks into fall semester, you are invited to campus for Parents Weekend. Activities include workshops, speakers, visits to museums, and campus activities with your student. Join us for Parents Weekend 2013 on October 18-20.
- Minnesota Parents Association: Members of the Minnesota Parents Association receive additional communication and services, as well as a joint membership to the U of M Alumni Association. Benefits include a subscription to Minnesota, the Alumni Association’s award-winning magazine, and a 10% discount at the U of M Bookstore. For information and membership, visit www.umn.edu/parent/association.
- Learning Abroad: Parents have the opportunity to join a Vision Team with their student and travel to Guatemala for a week of volunteer service learning. For more information about this trip, visit www.umn.edu/parent/advice-involvement/service-learning-opportunities.
Move-In Day for incoming freshmen
August 28-September 2
Welcome Week and New Student Convocation
Fall semester classes begin
Thanksgiving holiday; University closed