U of M Parent Program: Parent’s Link to Campus
Whether your student lives at home or attends college in another state, you as a parent continue to be an important part of his or her life. Your family relationships contribute to student success, and the Parent Program is here to support your role as a parent of a college student. The Parent Program understands the support parents provide to students, the University, and the community. In turn, we are your link to campus. We strive to provide parents of our students with information regarding the college experience and resources available to you.
The Parent Program provides several services to parents and families of our students, including:
- Parent email updates: The email newsletter provides you with the most current information and University news. This email is sent about every two weeks. Sign up for email updates by sending your email address to email@example.com.
- University Parent website: Our website provides information specifically for parents of U of M students. The rotating stories on the front page link to news stories and websites across the University. You can also answer the Question of the Month in order to give us feedback on topics related to the University, students, and parents. Find us at www.parent.umn.edu.
- University Parent: A quarterly newsletter mailed to parents of full-time undergraduate students published June, September, January, and March. Past issues can be found on the University Parent website.
- University of Minnesota Parent Program Facebook page: Join our Facebook page for links to news stories and photos of the day from around campus. To join the University of Minnesota Parent Program Facebook page, sign into your Facebook account, link to the page from our Parent Program website, and become a fan.
- Parent Orientation: Parent Orientation, offered by Orientation & First-Year Programs, is an opportunity for parents to become familiar with the University, get questions answered about resources and opportunities, and find out what to expect the first year.
- Move-In receptions: After moving your student into residence halls, you can take a break and give your students time to settle in. This is a chance to talk to other parents or ask staff any last-minute questions.
- Parents Weekend: A few weeks into fall semester, you are invited to campus for Parents Weekend. Activities include workshops, speakers, visits to museums, and campus activities with your student. Join us for Parents Weekend 2012 on September 28-30.
- Minnesota Parents Association: Members of the Minnesota Parents Association receive additional communication and services, as well as a joint membership to the U of M Alumni Association and benefits, including a subscription to Minnesota, the Alumni Association’s award–winning magazine, and a 10 percent discount at University Bookstores. For information and membership, find details at www.umn.edu/parent/advice-involvement/.
- Learning abroad: Parents have the opportunity to join a Vision Team with their student and travel to Guatemala for a week of volunteer service learning during Spring Break. For more information about this experience, see www.umn.edu/parent/advice-involvement/.