Parent Home > Money Matters > Paying Tuition and Student Record Access

Paying Bills and Student Record Access

Access to Your Student's Records

What is FERPA?

What is Parent/Guest Access?

What is the process like for getting access to my student's information?

How can I obtain a copy of my student's grades?

Where do I get proof of my student's enrollment and grade point average for my insurance company?

How does my student apply for reciprocity tuition rates?

Q: What is FERPA?

A: The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of education records. A student must grant permission for a parent or guest to access the details of, or to view bills and make payments in, her or his student account. For more information see FERPA.

Q: What is Parent/Guest Access?

A: Students can give "view only" access to parents by going online at the One Stop website and linking to "Parent/Guest Access." They can follow the instructions on that page to give their parents or other guests access to one or more of the following areas of the student's record:

  • Enrollment summary
  • Financial aid status
  • Grades
  • Holds
  • Student account (online billing and payments)
  • View financial aid awards
  • Housing contract, assignment, and billing
  • Student conduct in on-campus housing
  • Meal plans, FlexDine, and Gopher GOLD™ value

Students can also sign a release form to give parents access to protected information. The Student Information Release Authorization (PDF) form is available from the One Stop site.

Having a release form on file does not mean that information will automatically be mailed to parents or other authorized designees; information will be made available upon request from the authorized third party.

Note: More information about the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act can be found on the FERPA page.

Q: What is the process for getting access to my student's information?

A: Access is granted through this step-by-step process:

  1. Student sends email invite generated from the parent/guest access application to parent/guest
  2. Parent/guest accepts invite via a website and puts in demographic information
  3. Student is informed that parent/guest accepted invite and has signed up
  4. Student completes the process by selecting the level of access (they can authorize specific areas of information, including grades, holds, enrollment summary, financial aid status, financial aid awards, student account, housing information, and conduct matters for on-campus housing).

If the parent/guest has any questions about the process, needs to confirm that the student has completed the access process, or has any questions once they are logged in, they should contact One Stop at 612-624-1111 or

Q: How can I obtain a copy of my student's grades?

A: The easiest way for you to receive a copy of your student’s grades, current financial information, and other student information is for your student to set you up with Parent/Guest Access. The University does not mail grade reports or give out grades over the phone.

Your student can also request an official or unofficial transcript for a complete list of their student record.

Q: Where do I get proof of my student's enrollment and grade point average for my insurance company?

A: Students can request a certification letter that covers both of these items. The request form is available from the One Stop site: Request for Certification (PDF). Your student will need to sign the form and send it to the address on the form.

Students also can get the certification letter by going in person to one of the One Stop Student Services offices on campus.

Q: How does my student apply for reciprocity tuition rates?

A: The U of M has reciprocity agreements with Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Manitoba. Application for reciprocity is separate from application for admission to the University. Contact the University residency adviser with questions regarding reciprocity, 612-625-6330.

Receiving and Paying Bills

Q: How do I pay tuition?

A: Payments toward the student's account can be made in the following ways:

Online Billing and Payment Services

The quickest way to make a payment is online through the Parent/Guest Access application (see more about getting parent/guest access in the center column of this page) via the student account.

Payments can be made online from your checking or savings account, or charge a payment to your VISA, Master Card, DISCOVER, or American Express credit card. All credit/debit card payments are subject to a nonrefundable 2.75 percent service charge.

If you do not have access to your student’s account through Parent/Guest Access, your student will need to set up your access by following the instructions on "Authorize access to your student record" on the One Stop website.

Pay by U.S. Postal Service Mail

Address your payments to:
University of Minnesota Twin Cities
NW 6443
PO Box 1450
Minneapolis, MN 55485-6443 .

Please be sure to print and enclose a copy of the “Printable Version/PDF” of the billing statement to ensure timely crediting of your payment. You can print the bill through the Parent/Guest Access application. Write your student’s ID number on the check and include it with a copy of the payment portion of the billing statement.

Read more about how to pay the University or contact One Stop Student Services for more information.

Q: My student’s tuition bill was sent by email to his University email account. Since I am paying for his education, can the bills be mailed to me?

A: The University of Minnesota offers electronic billing and payment of student account bills (tuition, fees, housing, books, etc.). Electronic billing is the official means of generating tuition bills to all University of Minnesota students.

The University electronic billing and payment system automatically sends an email notification to the student's U of M email address when the bill is ready to be viewed online. Students can authorize parents or guests (also get an email notification) to view and pay bills online. As an authorized payer, parents/guests can view student's tuition bills online; view student's billing and payment history online; pay student's tuition bills online by automatically deducting the amount from a checking or savings account or charge payment to a VISA, MasterCard, DISCOVER, or American Express credit card; and download and print a copy of the student's bill for sending check payments via U.S. mail.

Q: How can I change my mailing address to get University mailings? Is it possible to have mailings sent to a second address?

A: A change of address can be done only by the student, but it can be done online. Your student can download and submit the Change Mailing Address form, or submit the form online from the One Stop Forms Online page (scroll down the page to "Changing your Name or Address).

The University Parent newsletter and other mailings sent from the Parent Program are sent to the student's home address (permanent address). If you would like these mailings to be sent to another address, we maintain a separate mail list. Contact the Parent Program at 612-626-9291 or email to be added to this separate list.