Parent Home > Health and Safety

Health and Safety

Emergency Notification

In case of campus emergencies, the University uses multiple communications to notify the campus community, including tone alert radios, on-the-ground public safety personnel, email, the University home page and TXT-U. TXT-U is the University of Minnesota’s emergency notification text messaging system.

Although only University of Minnesota students, faculty, and staff can register for TXT-U, students can sign up parents, other family members, or friends by designating more than one mobile device to their account. For information on how students can sign up for TXT-U and add parents’ cell phone numbers, see TXT-U on the SafeU website.

Parents are also encouraged to sign up for the Parent email listserv. Parent messages are sent routinely throughout the academic year, and in critical situations, notices will be sent through the listserv and posted on the University Parent website.


For messages about weather, safety, and health emergencies on the Twin Cities campus, call 301-SAFE (612-301-7233).

Crime Alerts and Public Safety Updates

The University informs the campus community about safety concerns via Crime Alerts and Public Safety Updates. Parents can receive these updates by signing up at this website.

Campus Safety and Security Tips

The Twin Cities campus is among the safest college campuses in the country. Parking facilities, skyways, and tunnels are monitored 24 hours a day with the aid of security cameras and security monitors. Alarm buttons and emergency phones are located around campus. However, safety is everyone’s responsibility. Ten safety and security tips are here to help keep your student's experience at the University of Minnesota as safe as possible.

See the Safety and Security Tips >

Crime Prevention

Campus safety is everyone’s responsibility. The University makes efforts to educate students about crime prevention, and the University Police and Minneapolis Police cooperate in patrolling campus and the surrounding area.

See tips and suggestions on Crime Prevention >

Health and Safety Topics

Disability Resource Center (DRC)

Students with mental health, attentional, learning, physical, or sensory conditions that may affect their access to campus services or classes are encouraged to register with Disability Services for resources and support.

Read about Disability Resource Center >

Students and Alcohol: A Guide for Parents

Suggestions for how to start a conversation about alcohol use and some facts that may help guide your discussion. Also included are some resources that you can call on at any time if you are concerned about your student's use of alcohol or other drugs.

See Student and Alcohol >

Quiet Students

Quiet, shy, and less outgoing students contribute important qualities in the classroom and on campus.

Resources for Quiet Students >

How to Raise a Sensitive Issue or Approach a Student

University counseling professionals provide suggestions for talking to your student when you think he or she is overwhelmed or depressed.

Learn about How to Raise a Sensitive Issue >

Relationships, Sexuality, and Sexual Activity

Relationships, sexuality, and sexual activity offers resources that may help as you discuss these issues with your student.

Download the Concerned Parents brochure (PDF) from the Aurora Center for strategies and support for talking with your college daughter about sexual assault. 


Links Related to Health and Safety

The Aurora Center for Advocacy & Education—The Aurora Center for Advocacy and Education (TAC) provides free and confidential crisis intervention to victims of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking and harassment. TAC also provides services for "concerned persons," that is, people who are concerned about a friend or loved one who has experienced these types of crimes. This webpage also offers a variety of sites for more specified information on sexual assault.

Boynton Health Service—Boynton Health Service provides medical care, health education, and wellness workshops for students.

Boynton Health Service information for parents.

Campus escort service—The Security Monitor Program offers a walking/biking escort service to and from campus locations and nearby adjacent neighborhoods.

Disability Resource Center (DRC)—The DRC office ensures access and opportunities for all.

Drug-Free Campus and Workplace Compliance—The University's policy associated with the use of drugs and alcohol.

Eating disorder information on the Boynton Health Service website.

E-CHUG—A brief, anonymous online alcohol assessment and feedback tool for college students, is available to students through University Counseling & Consulting Services and Boynton Health Service.

Living in Online Communities—Frequently asked questions about websites such as Facebook and MySpace.

Recreation and Wellness—Student stay in shape with workouts, programs, and team sports at University Recreational Sports.

SafeU—This website helps you and your student understand how you will be notified and what to do during an emergency. It also provides public safety and light rail transit safety information.

Student mental health—A web resource with information on crisis and urgent consultation as well as alcohol resources, counseling, disability accommodations, mental health screening, stress management, and more.

The Transition Year—An online resource center to help parents and students focus on emotional health before, during and after the college transition.

University Counseling & Consulting—Personal and group counseling, advice on career development, and assistance with time management and study skills are available through University Counseling & Consulting.

University Police—The University Police Department serves the campus community to create a safe environment to learn, live, work, and visit.

The Attorney General of Minnesota provides student-specific information on consumer protection.