Minnesota Parents Association
University of Minnesota parents support the University through membership in the Minnesota Parents Association, a joint collaboration with the University of Minnesota Alumni Association.
All parents, whether they join the Parents Association or not, will receive comprehensive services from the University Parent Program. All parents of full-time students will receive the Parent Newsletter by mail, will have access to the University Parent website, can sign up for biweekly email news, and can contact the University Parent office for assistance with questions or concerns.
Parents/Alumni Association members will receive additional communications and services. Members and their students will receive all the time-tested benefits of the Alumni Association, including
- A subscription to Minnesota, the Alumni Association’s award–winning magazine
- A 10 percent discount at the U of M Bookstore, in-store and online (excludes textbooks, college rings, medical reference books, caps and gowns, and electronics)
- Special rates on travel and hotels, including the University Hotel Minneapolis on campus
- Access to two extensive University Libraries online databases
- Monthly email updates on membership rewards and campus happenings
Members also receive special communications and services designed especially for parents. Among the planned programs for parents are
- Monthly chats on topics such as fraternity/sorority life, learning abroad, parents’ role in career planning, and campus safety
- Group discounts on arts programs and athletic events on campus
- Invitations to University events held around the state and the nation
Watch for additional developments throughout the year as we work with Parents Association members to create a dynamic community of U of M families.
But joining the Parents Association and Alumni Association is not just about benefits. It’s also about helping the University of Minnesota stay vital and strong. Membership supports important initiatives, including legislative advocacy, mentoring, student activities, and outstanding teaching awards.
Your membership in the Parents Association makes possible a number of projects that support parent education and student success. Last year, association memberships resulted in dissemination of parents' role in combating campus drinking; analysis of student-parent communication patterns; a partnership with the Commuter Connection, a student organization for commuter students, and dissemination of information for commuter parents; development of a Facebook fan page for U of M parents; and a comprehensive survey of University of Minnesota parents, tracking their communications with and concerns for their students.
We encourage you to make the most of your new connection to the campus community by joining the Parents and Alumni associations today. Membership cost is $60 for a year and provides a family membership in the Minnesota Parents Association, membership for up to two parents (same household) in the Alumni Association, and a student membership in the Alumni Association. (If you have more than one student attending the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus, they will each receive a student membership.)
Simply fill out the membership form and sign up with a credit card. You may also call 612-624-9658 or 800-862-5867.
Parent-Student Service Learning Opportunities
Travel with your student in 2014 as part of this unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others. Work with families in Antigua, Guatemala for one week of service learning.