Responses to Negative Discrimination
If someone makes a statement against an individual because of their group
membership or generalizes about members of groups, we suggest that you do the
(NOTE: These ideas are from Unity in diversity: A curriculum resource guide
for ethno-cultural equity and anti-racist education, Ontario Ministry of Education,
- Deal with the situation immediately.
- State that such abuse is harmful and will not be tolerated.
- Value the feelings of others by listening with sensitivity.
- Support the victim.
- Take aside those involved to discuss the incident.
- Apply appropriate consequences to the
- Examine the context for subtle support of such offenses.
- Ignore it, let it pass unchallenged, or let intangible fear block
your ability to act.
- Overreact with a put-down of the offender.
- Impose consequences until you know what happened from everyone
- Focus entirely on the offender; remember the victim.
- Embarrass either party publicly.
- Assume the incident is isolated from the context in which