University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources

Nonresident Alien Contractor Payment Processing Requirements

Preparing Payment Documentation

In addition to the general information needed to prepare a Contract for Professional Services (VCPS or CPS) or Payment Voucher in PeopleSoft Financials System (EFS), the department will need to ascertain certain work eligibility and tax information about the international visitor in order to complete the contract and payment process.

  • Visa status, expiration date, and country of residence. Copies of appropriate documentation demonstrating status and work eligibility must be attached to the Nonresident Alien Data Collection Sheet.
  • Determine if work is being done outside the United States.
  • Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) issued by IRS or a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) issued by the Social Security Administration, if available. If the visitor does not have an ITIN (or SSN), the department must provide the visitor with information on how to obtain an ITIN. See ITIN - Individual Taxpayer ID Number for more information.

The following additional information must be forwarded to Payroll Services before the payment is approved.

  • Original Tax Treaty forms

Additional Data to attach to the Nonresident Alien Data Collection Worksheet and scan to ImageNow.

Routing the Contract and Payment Voucher

Follow the instructions for Processing a Purchase of Professional Service located in the UWide Policy and Procedures Library to establish the vendor, contract, and/or payment voucher in the EFS PeopleSoft Financial System. For other non-employee voucher payments to nonresident aliens See Accounts Payable Forms / Policies / Job Aids. Attach the Nonresident Alien Data Collection Sheet to the contract or scan to ImageNow, whichever is appropriate, to guarantee that Payroll Services can view that attachments.

Payroll must view all documentation to insure that the visitor status is appropriate for the type of payment being secured, the supporting expense and honoraria documentation is on hand, and that the correct taxes are being withheld from the payment.

All payments (for services and expenses) to nonresident aliens for services performed in the US will automatically be put in 'pending' status until reviewed and approved by Payroll Services. Payroll Services will determine if the payment is subject to the 30% tax withholding, a reduced tax rate, or eligible for treaty benefits, and make any necessary changes based on tax treaty eligibility, ITINs, and appropriate forms and documents filed separately with Nonresident Alien Data Collection Sheet and, if applicable, the Honoraria and Expense Reimbursement Form.

  • Expenses that follow the IRS accountable plan rules are not subject to tax withholding. The original completed and signed Tax Treaty forms must be submitted to Payroll Services for the tax exemption to be honored. All other documentation should be scanned and available in ImageNow.

Whom to Contact for Questions

Visa type regulations - International Student & Scholar Services at 612-626-7100

Payments and tax withholding/reporting - Human Resources Call Center at 612-625-2016

Purchasing of Professional Services - Purchasing Services at 612-624-2828

Vendor set-up and voucher payments - Disbursement Services - at 612-624-1617

General EFS questions - University Financial Helpline at 612-624-1617

Note on University Accountability

The University is subject to IRS penalties and fines for failure to treat payments to nonresident aliens properly. If any University employee is involved in inviting, hosting, or paying an international visitor, IRS holds the University accountable for the proper tax treatment and reporting for these payments.