University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources

Spouse/Partner Employment: Dual Career Services

University professionals are often members of dual-career couples. When relocating, the employment needs of the spouse or partner are an important consideration. The Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) offers support and resources to help spouses or partners explore employment options in this community.

Jump to:

University of Minnesota Employment

U of M Employment Opportunities

If you apply for a particular U of M job, RAP can send an acknowledgment letter to the associated department, indicating your affiliation with the University. For more information, contact RAP at 612-626-0775 or 800-227-8636.

As a spouse/partner of a U of M faculty or staff member, you are also entitled to apply for Professional and Administrative (P&A) “internal candidates only” positions. The University of Minnesota has policies that permit the hiring of a spouse/partner without a search.

These policies may help the primary hire to raise the issue of bridge funding and also encourage open dialogue with their respective hiring department about possible options for spouse/partner employment. For more information, contact the RAP office.

Upper Midwest Recruitment Consortium logo

Upper Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium

The University of Minnesota is a member of UMW HERC. This consortium is comprised of more than 50 institutions in the Upper Midwest that work together to support dual-career and diversity hiring. Higher education job seekers may submit their resume/CV to the HERC database.

Bridge Funding

To enhance the University's opportunities to recruit and retain highly qualified faculty, the University's Office for Equity and Diversity has established two bridge funds designed to increase diverse faculty hires:

  • Bridge Fund for Faculty of Color Hires
  • Bridge Fund for Spousal/Partner Hires

CoupleNetworking in the Twin Cities

Through a well-developed network of volunteers, alumni, U of M employees, and professional associations, RAP can put you in touch with professionals in your field. RAP works closely with the University's Office of University Economic Development to identify employment contacts within the public and private sectors.

You may also want to become a member of LinkedIn, a business-oriented social networking site and join the U of M Alumni Association Group. See the "Social Media: Success Guide for Employment" (pdf) for tips on using social networking sites to connect with prospective employers.

 Spouse/Partner Job Search Workshop: Conducting a Job Search in the Twin Cities

Each fall the Relocation Assistance program presents a job search strategies workshop that includes tips for writing effective CV/resumes, networking, and interviewing. Participants will learn more about the support and services RAP provides and how to navigate the U of M employment system. Plus, participants will have the opportunity to meet and network with other new residents and job seekers and learn more about events and attractions in the Twin Cities.

Download workshop presentation materials:

Employment Partners

Several major Twin Cities companies and public entities partner with the University to help spouses/partners identify opportunities within their organizations. To learn more about an organization, determine its fit with your career goals, and be connected to its University liaison, view the list of organizations. When contacting an organization, be sure to state your affiliation with the University, and that you were referred by the Relocation Assistance Program.

Minnesota Company and Nonprofit Resources

Directories for Minnesota's industries, companies, nonprofit organizations, foundations, etc., are available through the University of Minnesota Libraries. Use these resources to identify possible places of employment, learn more about prospective employers, and follow regional hiring trends.

 For a tutorial on using the business data bases, watch, Ace the Job Search by Using University of Minnesota Libraries


Resume and Career Development


Resume or Curriculum Vitae

RAP staff will also assist you in updating your resume or curriculum vitae and in the writing of effective cover letters.

RAP also offers an opportunity for you to post an online resume/vitae for review by Twin Cities' area employers. To be included in this talent bank, please read the instructions before submitting your resume. To be eligible for career assistance, you must submit your profile and resume/vitae. Contact the RAP office or send an email, with your resume/vitae attached, to

Tips for Updating and Perfecting Your Job Search Documents


A transition is a good time to reflect on where you are heading in your career. RAP collaborates with the staff of Employee Career Services to provide one-to-one career counseling. In addition to the job search workshop sponsored by RAP, spouses and partners are encouraged to take advantage of career development workshops and courses. Assessment tools, assistance with networking, resume writing, and links to local job banks are available through Employee Career Services.

International Spouses/Partners

Being an international spouse/partner adds another dimension to the job search. The U of M Office of International Student and Scholar Services sponsors career workshops that are open to all international spouses/partners who are working with RAP and are eligible to work in the United States.

Visa or personal issues can sometimes prevent immediate employment in the U.S.  Learn how volunteering can be a great way to gain experience and meet people in your employment field.

Information on H-1B eligibility requirements, the application process, and timelines

Balancing Work and Family

  • The Employee Assistance Program provides free professional consultation and referral services for University employees and their family members who are experiencing work or personal difficulties.
  • The Wellness & Work/Life program offers support for faculty and staff in managing their work, family, and personal responsibilities.