University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources

Flexible Spending Accounts for 2015

If You Currently Have an FSA:

  • You will need to re-enroll during open enrollment each year to continue your participation.
  • The claim period for 2015 is January 1, 2015, through March 15, 2016. However, any remaining balance from your 2014 contributions will be used before claims are paid from your 2015 contributions.
  • You have until March 31, 2015, to submit claims for expenses you incur through March 15, 2015,  from your 2014 contributions.

The University offers eligible employees two types of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)—a health care account and a dependent daycare account. These accounts allow you to pay for related eligible expenses using pre-tax dollars.

During Open Enrollment, you elect an amount to be withheld from your pay before federal, state, and Social Security taxes are withheld. That amount is deducted from your pay in equal installments throughout the upcoming calendar year. You may contribute a minimum of $100 and a maximum of $2,550 each calendar year from your pay. For the dependent daycare FSA, the maximum amount is $5,000 per family.

When you incur an eligible expense, you submit a claim to ADP Benefit Solutions. You are then reimbursed with tax-free dollars from your account.

Health Care FSA

The Health Care account allows you to pay for many health care expenses not covered by your medical and dental plans, such as payments you make for the diagnosis, cure, treatment or prevention of disease; vision care expenses; as well as medicines and drugs that require a prescription.

Some examples of eligible expenses include deductibles and copayments under your medical plan and dental plans or plans covering your eligible dependents, prescription drug copayments, durable medical equipment, diabetic test strips and syringes, prescription eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery, mental health copayments and services over medical limits, and services and prescription drugs for infertility treatments. Please note that if you simultaneously participate in a medical Health Savings Account (HSA), you may use your health care FSA only for eligible dental and vision expenses.

When a pharmacist fills a prescription for certain over-the-counter (OTC) medicines, it can be submitted to the UPlan pharmacy program through Prime Therapeutics. OTC medicines such as insulin, smoking deterrents, and medications for gastric disorders can be submitted, subject to normal copays. Details are in the UPlan Formulary at Prime Therapeutics.

For more information, see the Spending Account Eligible Expense Guide (pdf). 

Dependent Daycare FSA

An eligible expense is the charge for care of your dependents while you (or you and your spouse/same-sex domestic partner) work. Some examples of eligible expenses include daycare center, nursery school, and babysitter costs; preschool below the kindergarten level; specialty day camps (such as soccer or computer camps) if otherwise qualified; and nursing or custodial care for elderly or disabled dependents who live with you at least eight hours per day and are unable to care for themselves.

For more information on reimbursable expenses, see the IRS Publication 503: Child and Dependent Care Expenses.