University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources

Make Changes to Medical Coverage

Need Help Making Changes?

Get quick answers for these common events:

To make changes in your medical coverage after you are first eligible or outside of the annual Open Enrollment period, you must have a change in family or work status. You must make your request for a change in your coverage, consistent with the family status change, within 30 days of the date of change.

Family status changes include:

  • Change in legal marital status, including marriage, divorce, or annulment
  • Death of your spouse or last eligible dependent child
  • Birth or adoption of your eligible dependent child
  • Change in last dependent child's eligibility because of age
  • Commencement or termination of employment for you, spouse, or dependent
  • Change in your or your spouse's employment status from part time to full time, or from full time to part time
  • Change in the place of residence or worksite for you, spouse, or dependent to a location outside of the current plan's service area and your current plan is not available

For enrollment information or if you have more specific questions about changes in your coverage, call 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363 to reach the Employee Benefits Service Center.