University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources

Enroll in Dental Coverage

When you first become benefits-eligible, Employee Benefits will send you an email message with the online enrollment information.

New Employees

You need to elect your dental plan within the first 30 days of employment or newly benefits-eligibile position. You have the option to change plans within the first 30 days, and the new plan will be made effective retroactive to your initial effective date of active coverage. You can also elect to waive coverage and not have a dental plan.

For Family Coverage

You need to elect your level of family coverage within the first 30 days of employment or newly benefits-eligible position. Your eligible dependents include your legal spouse and your dependent children from birth through age 25 (up to 26th birthday).

Status Change Allows Enrollment

After your first 30 days of eligibility, you can make changes to your coverage due to a family status change such as marriage or a work status change such as an appointment change from part-time to full-time. You can add or cancel coverage for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents.

Open Enrollment

You can change to a different plan or add or cancel dependent coverage during Open Enrollment.