University of Minnesota
Office of Human Resources

Making Changes to Dental Coverage

Need Help Making Changes?

Get quick answers for these common events:

To make changes in your dental coverage outside of the Open Enrollment period, you must have a change in family status. The coverage change must be consistent with the family status change.

You must make your request for a change in your coverage due to a family status change within 30 days of the date of change.

Family status changes include:

  • Change in legal marital status, including marriage, divorce, legal separation, or annulment
  • Registration of your same-sex domestic partnership or termination of same-sex domestic partnership
  • Death of your spouse/registered same-sex domestic partner or last eligible dependent child
  • Birth or adoption of your first eligible dependent child
  • Change in last dependent child's eligibility because of age
  • Commencement or termination of employment for you, spouse/registered same-sex domestic partner, or dependent
  • Change in your or your spouse/registered same-sex domestic partner's employment status from part time to full time, or from full time to part time
  • Change in the place of residence or work site for you, spouse/registered same-sex domestic partner, or dependent to a location outside of the current plan's service area and the current plan is not available.

If you have more specific questions about changes in your coverage, call 612-624-UOHR (612-624-8647) or 800-756-2363 to reach the Employee Benefits Service Center.