Birth or Adoption
Within 30 days of the birth or adoption of your child, you may make these changes to your benefits:
- Add your child to your medical or dental plan with coverage effective on the date of birth or adoption
- Enroll in a flexible spending account or change the amount in your current account effective with the first full pay period following the date of birth/adoption
- Add child life insurance for $10,000 without evidence of good health
Call 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363 to reach the Employee Benefits Service Center to request these benefit changes. After the 30-day window, you need to wait until the next Open Enrollment to make changes.
You can make the following changes at any time during the year:
- Add or increase additional employee life insurance, subject to underwriting, up to $500,000 or, if greater, five times your annual base salary but not more than $1 million
- Add spouse/same-sex domestic partner life insurance, subject to underwriting, up to a maximum of $500,000
- Add or increase the amount of short-term disability, subject to underwriting
- Update beneficiaries on your life insurance and retirement plans
Benefits Changes with Birth/Adoption
Constructing a Leave
- Determine how your benefits will be affected by your leave. Call 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363 to reach the Employee Benefits Service Center to discuss options if you have short-term disability insurance or plan to take a leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Depending on your employment classification, your leave can use parental, sick, vacation, FMLA, and unpaid time. If you need help understanding programs and policies to plan the right leave for you, contact your HR Consultant.
Update Your W-4 Tax Information
- Update the number of federal and state withholding allowances
- Calculate your net (take-home) pay, based on changes to your W-4 allowances