Sexual Assault Awareness Month events aim to start dialogues on healthy sexuality
MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL (04/10/2012) —April marks Sexual Assault Awareness Month and this year, the University of Minnesota’s Aurora Center for Advocacy and Education (TAC) aims to start a dialogue about healthy sexuality in its SAAM campaign. The campaign encourages individuals and organizations to join the conversation on how people connect and respect one another in order to prevent sexual violence. TAC, along with other groups, is calling attention to this important dialog through several events.
Monday, April 16
- Andrea Gibson -- a nationally known poet, activist and the first winner of the Women’s World Poetry Slam, performs.at 8:30 p.m. at the Whole Music Club, Coffman Union. Two acts open for Gibson. The University of Minnesota's nationally ranked slam poetry team, USlam, performs at 6:30 p.m. The second opening act, Guante, a hip-hop artist, two-time National Poetry Slam champion, social justice activist and educator, performs at 7:15 p.m. Admission is free. The Women’s Center, Women’s Student Activist Collective and Aurora Center are sponsoring the event.
Tuesday, April 17
- Andrea Gibson leads a social justice and spoken word writing workshop from 12 to 1:30 p.m., room 325, Coffman Union. Participation is free of charge.
Friday, April 20
- Gender Violence in Communities of Color Panel & Discussion: A discussion on how teachers, learners, activists and leaders on this campus grapple with and work to change the systems of gender violence in communities of color will be held from 2 to 3:30 p.m., room 130, Murphy Hall. Panelists include: Oliver Williams, director, Institute on Domestic Violence in the African American Community and professor of social work at the U of M; Liliana Espondaburu, Sexual Assault Program Associate, Community University Health Care Center; Mario Villeda Maldonado, health educator, West Side Clinic; and Xay Yang, student employee for GLBTA Programs Office and Transgender Commission member.
Sunday April 22
- The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler is performed at 7 p.m., Coffman Union Theater. Tickets are $10 for students and $15 for the public. Tickets will be sold at the door and are available online at http://vdaytwincities2012.eventbrite.com/
Wednesday, April 25
- Mental Health Awareness Day: TAC co-sponsors exhibits on the Northrop Mall.