John and Nancy Lindahl to co-chair U of M stadium fund-raising campaign
Contacts: Martha Douglas, University of Minnesota Foundation, (612) 626-9712
Daniel Wolter, University News Service, (612) 625-8510
David Ruth, University News Service, (612) 626-1720
(04/05/2005) —University of Minnesota alumni John and Nancy Lindahl have given the university another boost in its efforts to build a new Gopher football stadium by agreeing to chair the stadium fund-raising campaign. The university said that it will fund 60 percent, or $141 million, of the estimated $235 million cost of the stadium. A major portion of this is expected to come from private gifts. The university has asked the state to fund the other 40 percent.
I am thrilled that such dedicated and experienced university supporters have agreed to take on this challenge, said Joel Maturi, U of M athletics director. They are well known in the community, excited about this project, and thoroughly committed to the academic and research missions of the university. This makes them the perfect representatives to reach out to the wide variety of university alumni and friends who want to help bring Gopher football back to campus.
John and Nancy Lindahl are long-time university supporters. They met as students at the U, and both graduated in 1968. Their gifts have supported many university programs, including scholarships, endowed professorships in the College of Education and Human Development and the Carlson School of Management, athletics and other areas. They are also making a significant gift commitment for the stadium.
John Lindahl is managing general partner of Norwest Equity Partners. He worked at Norwest Bank after graduation and joined Norwest Equity in 1984. Nancy Lindahl was the UMAA national president in 1999 and is on the board of trustees of the University of Minnesota Foundation. She received the universitys Outstanding Achievement Award in 2001. She is also active in many other Twin Cities community organizations and was inducted into the Twin Citian Volunteer Hall of Fame in 2001.
The university and Gopher sports have been an important part of our lives ever since I can remember, and I am eager to meet with other alumni and friends who feel strongly about having a stadium on campus again, said Nancy Lindahl.
We will be reaching out to individuals and businesses to find support for the stadium, said John Lindahl. There will be many opportunities for people to participate in this great project at many levels.