Freebies at the Arts Quarter
The School of Music offers free concerts throughout the year
M, fall 2006
There's no catch. This fall, you can watch a free concert at the U almost every day--in the afternoon or evening--through Dec. 13.
Each year, hundreds of free concerts and recitals take place at Ferguson Hall and Ted Mann Concert Hall on the Twin Cities campus. The music--from classical to electronic--showcases the University of Minnesota School of Music. Students play in these concerts as a requirement for their degrees; faculty often perform their own recitals, as well.
This fall's sampling includes music by
- doctoral students and composers Marc Jensen and Elliott Miles McKinley (Oct. 22, 4 p.m.)
- associate professor of piano Paul Shaw (Oct. 29, 3 p.m.)
- percussion senior Carla Merkow (Nov. 4, 7:30 p.m.)
- the Early Music Ensemble Medieval Program (Nov. 5, 7:30 p.m.)
- the Symphony Orchestra (Dec. 12, 7:30 p.m.)
For a complete list of concerts, see www.music.umn.edu/events.