2004 homecoming sprirt--watch for it again this year!
Homecoming: Center Stage
the week of festivities has begun
Published on September 20, 2005
It's one of those things you can always count on--homecoming. The world may change, the stadium may change, the players most certainly will change, but homecoming, with its hoopla, teary-eyed alums, and tipsy freshmen has remained our enduring autumn ritual since 1914.
This year, the University of Minnesota's homecoming festivities on the Twin Cities campus began on Sept. 17 and will culminate with the football game on Sept. 24 against Purdue.
A committee of volunteers make a yearlong commitment to plan homecoming all in an effort to foster school spirit. This year's committee co-chairs are students Brian Sondag and Aeriel Anderson. The U of M Alumni Association also holds events, including a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Alumni Wall of Honor, a new work of public art engraved with the names of the more than 1,000 alumni who have received the University's highest honor, the Outstanding Achievement Award, and the homecoming pancake breakfast.
Homecoming on the other U
Alumni are gathering or will converge in the coming weeks for homecoming festivities on the other campuses. Events include traditional favorites such as coronations, parades, bonfires, and football games.
Crookston: "Aggie Legacy...Golden Eagle Destiny," Sept. 19-24; see UMC,
Duluth: "It's Never Just a Game," Oct. 6-8; see UMD,
Morris: "Viva Las Morris," Oct. 21-23; see UMM.
Homecoming 2005 events for the rest of the week include:
Wednesday, Sept. 21
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. "Residence Life Day," Coffman Union front plaza and Riverbend Plazas.
- Noon. Student spirit show featuring Danny of MTV's "The Real World, Austin." Coffman Union front plaza.
- 1:30 p.m. - 3 p.m. STA Travel & MTV's The Real World present: "Spring Break Hot Spots" featuring Danny from "The Real World, Austin," at the The Whole Music Club.
- 7 p.m. "Go-Pher" Fame Talent Competition at The Whole Music Club.
- 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Activities Fair at the St. Paul Student Center.
- 9 p.m. Johnny Holm Band performs at the St. Paul Livestock Arena
- $5 for U of M students with valid U of M ID, $7 general advance tickets available at Coffman Union, St. Paul Student Center and West Bank Skyway.This is an 18-plus show, valid picture ID or University of Minnesota U Card required for entry.
- Noon-1 p.m. U of M homecoming community lunch and pepfest, Gateway Plaza of the McNamara Alumni Center.
- 5,000 free lunches will be served. In the event of inclement weather, this event will be held in Memorial Hall of the McNamara Alumni Center.
- 4:30 p.m. Cheer competition preliminaries, River Flats, East Bank.
- 6 p.m. Cheer Competition, pep rally, royalty coronation and bonfire, River Flats, East Bank.
- 9:00pm Dedication of the University of Minnesota Alumni Wall of Honor, Gateway Plaza near the McNamara Alumni Center.
- 10 p.m.-2 a.m. "Gophers After Dark," Coffman Union. Events for students.
- 7 a.m. Homecoming pancake breakfast, Sports Pavilion. Family entertainment, guest appearances by U of M celebrity pancake flippers and Goldy Gopher.
- 9 a.m. Homecoming parade, 12th Street and University Avenue to Oak Street. View map.
- 11 a.m. Golden Gophers football vs. Purdue Boilermakers, Metrodome.
- 10 p.m. - 2 a.m. "Gophers After Dark," Coffman Union. Events for students.
For more information on this year's homecoming, visit Homecoming: Center Stage.