Safeguard your home from fire
From eNews, October 2, 2003
In light of the recent deaths of three University of Minnesota students in an off-campus house fire and in preparation for National Fire Prevention Week Oct. 5-11, the U's Parent Program has compiled some safety tips.
- Check your smoke detectors. Do you need to change the batteries? According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than 39 percent of residential fires and 52 percent of residential fatalities occur in homes without smoke alarms.
- Do you have fire extinguishers? Make sure you know how to operate them, and place them where you can reach them easily.
- Think about an escape route from each room. If the doorway is blocked, what is your alternative route? If you had to exit the room through a window, would you need a fire ladder?
- The most common causes of a fire are candles, cigarettes, and halogen lights. Never leave candles burning unattended, and do not put anything, such as paper or fabric, over a halogen light.
- If you notice exposed wiring or problems with your light fixtures or appliances, repair them immediately or call your landlord at once for repairs.