Two whole days to get my photos back?!: Bridging the freshman-faculty culture ga
Bridging the freshman-faculty culture gap
Published on September 2, 2004
Most college freshmen sitting in classrooms all over America this fall were born in 1986, the year Ferris Bueller's Day Off premiered, Martin Luther King Jr. Day became a federal holiday, and Ferdinand Marcos fled the Philippines. Every year Beloit College releases its Mindset List to help faculty members connect with students who've been chatting online since they could use a keyboard. Following are just some of the entries from the list. For the complete compilation, see Beloit College Mindset List. FOR THE CLASS OF 2008
- Desi Arnaz, Orson Welles, Roy Orbison, Ted Bundy, Ayatollah Khomeini, and Cary Grant have always been dead.
- "Heeeere's Johnny!" is a scary greeting from Jack Nicholson, not a warm welcome from Ed McMahon.
- The Energizer bunny has always been going, and going, and going.
- Photographs have always been processed in an hour or less.
- The U.S. has always been a Prozac nation.
- They never saw Roseanne Roseannadanna live on Saturday Night Live.
- There has always been a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Robert Downey, Jr. has always been in trouble.
- Computers have always suffered from viruses.
- We have always been mapping the human genome.
- Bethlehem has never been a place of peace at Christmas.
- AZT has always been used to treat AIDS.
- The international community has always been installing or removing the leader of Haiti.
- They have suffered through airport security systems since they were in strollers.
- They have done most of their search for the right college online.
- Castro has always been an aging politician in a suit.
- There have always been nonstop flights around the world without refueling.
- Cher hasn't aged a day.