OPINION No. 8/2006 (LIBYAN ARAB JAMAHIRIYA) Communication: addressed to the Government on 19 September 2005. Concerning: Mr. Abdel Razak al-Mansuri.
The State has ratified the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
1. (Same text as paragraph 1 of Opinion No. 38/2005.)
2. The Working Group notes with appreciation the information received from the Government of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya in respect of the case in question.
3. The Working Group further notes that according to the Government’s information the above-mentioned person is no longer in detention.
4. This information was brought to the attention of the source, which confirmed the liberation of Mr. Al-Mansuri. Yet, it expressed the wish that notwithstanding the release of Mr. Al-Mansuri the Working Group pursue the consideration of the communication, bearing in mind the harm caused by the deprivation of liberty.
5. Under its mandate the paramount objective of the Working Group is to obtain the release of persons from detention, especially when this liberation has been obtained in the framework of the Working Group’s cooperation with the Government.
6. On that basis, having examined all the information submitted to it, and without prejudging the arbitrary nature of the detention, the Working Group, referring to paragraph 17 (a) of its methods of work, decides to file the case.
Adopted on 11 May 2006.