Agenda item 164
RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 48/258 A, adopted by consensus on 23 June 1994, the date on which South Africa was invited to resume its participation in the work of the General Assembly,
Noting that South Africa has since that date commenced payment of its assessed contributions,
Also recalling the exceptional circumstances pertaining to the resumption of South Africa's participation in the work of the General Assembly following the elimination of apartheid and the establishment of a democratic, non-racial South Africa,
Recognizing that, owing to the exceptional circumstances arising from apartheid, South Africa requested not to be held liable for contributions relating to the period from 30 September 1974 to 23 June 1994,
Recognizing also that the General Assembly took a moral and political decision to exclude South Africa from participation in its work,
Recognizing further that the exclusion of South Africa from the work of the General Assembly was unprecedented,
1. Accepts, owing to these exceptional and unique circumstances, South Africa's request not to pay its contributions for the period from 30 September 1974 to 23 June 1994, and decides that the consequent burden for the Organization shall be borne by Member States pursuant to Article 17 of the Charter of the United Nations and the provisions of the present resolution;
2. Welcomes and endorses the statement of South Africa that it will waive any credits it would receive in the amount of 549,606 United States dollars, and 737,142 dollars from budgetary surpluses retained in the regular budget and the peace-keeping special accounts, respectively, for the period from 30 September 1974 to 23 June 1994;
3. Decides to reduce the net amount of 122,238,000 dollars available as credits to Member States, arising from the implementation of resolutions 2947 A and B (XXVII) of 8 December 1972, 36/116 B of 10 December 1981, 40/241 B of 18 December 1985 and 42/216 A of 21 December 1987, by 53,881,711 dollars, and to waive the share of the credits in the amount of 53,332,105 dollars among other Member States on the basis of the respective scale of assessments contained in resolutions 34/6 A of 25 October 1979, 37/125 A of 17 December 1982 and 40/248 of 18 December 1985, in order to account for the reduction in outstanding contributions resulting from paragraph 1 above;
4. Also decides to reduce the amount of 173,392,935 dollars, available as credits to Member States, arising from the implementation of resolutions 33/13 E of 14 December 1978, 34/7 D and 34/9 E of 17 December 1979, 35/45 B of 1 December 1980, 35/115 B of 10 December 1980, 36/66 B of 30 November 1981, 36/138 B of 16 December 1981, 37/38 B of 30 November 1982, 37/127 B of 17 December 1982, 38/35 B of 1 December 1983, 38/38 B of 5 December 1983, 39/28 B of 30 November 1984, 39/71 B of 13 December 1984, 40/59 B of 2 December 1985, 40/246 B of 18 December 1985, 41/44 B of 3 December 1986, 41/179 B of 5 December 1986, 42/70 B of 3 December 1987, 42/223 of 21 December 1987, 43/228 and 43/229 of 21 December 1988, 44/187 and 44/188 of 21 December 1989, 46/194 of 20 December 1991, 47/204 and 47/205 of 22 December 1992 and 49/226 of 23 December 1994, by 40,905,714 dollars and to waive the share of credits in the amount of 40,168,572 dollars among other Member States on the basis of the respective scale of assessments for the period in which the surpluses arose, in order to account for the reduction in outstanding contributions resulting from paragraph 1 above;
5. Further decides that, owing to the unique and exceptional circumstances arising from apartheid, the decisions set out in paragraphs 3 and 4 of the present resolution shall under no circumstances constitute a precedent.
93rd plenary meeting
15 December 1995 .