Agenda item 45
RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolutions on the situation in Central America, in particular resolution 49/137 of 19 December 1994, in which, inter alia, it requested the Secretary-General to devise procedures for providing El Salvador with the necessary cooperation and assistance in the period after the United Nations Observer Mission in El Salvador, in order to safeguard peace and the strengthening and consolidation of national reconciliation, democracy and sustainable development,
Recalling also the letter dated 6 February 1995 from the Secretary General addressed to the President of the Security Council S/1995/143. and the letter dated 17 February 1995 from the President of the Security Council addressed to the Secretary-General, S/1995/144.
Having considered the report of the Secretary-General of 6 October 1995 on the Mission of the United Nations in El Salvador, A/50/517.
Recognizing with satisfaction the continuing evolution of El Salvador from a country torn by conflict into a democratic and peaceful nation,
Paying tribute to those Member States which contributed personnel and voluntary funding to the Mission,
1. Welcomes the continued commitment of the Government and people of El Salvador to the consolidation of the peace process;
2. Pays tribute to the accomplishments of the Mission of the United Nations in El Salvador, under the authority of the Secretary-General and his Special Representative;
3. Recognizes the political commitment of the Government of El Salvador and the other parties to the Chapultepec Agreement A/46/864- S/23501, annex. to continue to work together in order to complete its implementation;
4. Approves the proposal by the Secretary-General to extend the Mission for a further period of six months, with a gradual reduction of its strength and costs, in a manner compatible with the efficient performance of its functions;
5. Calls upon Member States and international institutions to continue to provide assistance to the Government and people of El Salvador and to lend support to the efforts of the Mission for the purposes of peacebuilding and development;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to report on the implementation of the present resolution.
45th plenary meeting
31 October 1995 .