Agenda item 146
RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 49/60 of 9 December 1994, by which it adopted the Declaration on Measures to Eliminate International Terrorism,
Recalling also that, in the statement issued on 31 January 1992 by the President of the Security Council on the occasion of the meeting of the Security Council at the level of heads of State and Government, S/23500. the members of the Council expressed their deep concern over acts of international terrorism, and emphasized the need for the international community to deal effectively with all such acts,
Recalling further the Declaration on the Occasion of the Fiftieth Anniversary of the United Nations, Resolution 50/6.
Deeply disturbed by the persistence of terrorist acts, which have taken place worldwide,
Stressing the need further to strengthen international cooperation between States and between international organizations and agencies, regional organizations and arrangements and the United Nations in order to prevent, combat and eliminate terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,
Having examined the report of the Secretary-General of 24 August 1995, A/50/372 and Add.1.
1. Strongly condemns all acts, methods and practices of terrorism as criminal and unjustifiable;
2. Reiterates that criminal acts intended or calculated to provoke a state of terror in the general public, a group of persons or particular persons for political purposes are in any circumstance unjustifiable, whatever the considerations of a political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or any other nature that may be invoked to justify them; Paragraph 3 of the Declaration on Measures to Eliminate International Terrorism, contained in the annex to resolution 49/60.
3. Reaffirms the Declaration on Measures to Eliminate International Terrorism annexed to resolution 49/60;
4. Urges all States to promote and implement effectively and in good faith the provisions of the Declaration in all its aspects;
5. Also urges all States to strengthen cooperation with one another to ensure that those who participate in terrorist activities, whatever the nature of their participation, find no safe haven anywhere;
6. Calls upon all States to take the necessary steps to implement their obligations under existing international conventions, to observe fully the principles of international law and to contribute to the further development of international law on this matter;
7. Recalls the role of the Security Council in combating international terrorism whenever it poses a threat to international peace and security;
8. Requests the Secretary-General to follow up closely the implementation of the Declaration and to submit an annual report on the implementation of paragraph 10 of the Declaration, taking into account the modalities set out in his report 3/ and the views expressed by States in the debate of the Sixth Committee during the fiftieth session of the General Assembly; See A/C.6/50/SR.6 to 10 and 46.
9. Decides to include in the provisional agenda of its fifty-first session the item entitled "Measures to eliminate international terrorism".
87th plenary meeting
11 December 1995 .