Agenda item 88
RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 48/165 of 21 December 1993 on renewal of the dialogue on strengthening international economic cooperation for development through partnership,
Noting with interest the reports of the Secretary-General on an agenda for development, as requested in its resolutions 47/181 of 22 December 1992 and 48/166 of 21 December 1993, A/48/689, A/48/935 and A/49/665.
Noting with interest also the role of the Secretary-General in encouraging all countries to engage in a constructive dialogue for advancing development and in facilitating their efforts in that regard,
Stressing the importance of a fruitful dialogue to ensure a favourable political and economic environment for advancing international cooperation for development,
1. Welcomes with appreciation the note by the Secretary-General on the renewal of the dialogue on strengthening international economic cooperation for development through partnership; A/49/542.
2. Reaffirms the need to strengthen constructive dialogue and partnership in order to promote further international economic cooperation for development;
3. Also reaffirms that such a dialogue should be conducted in response to the imperatives of mutual interests and benefits, genuine interdependence, shared responsibility and the partnership for achieving sustained economic growth and sustainable development as well as improving the international economic environment that is conducive to such development, and that the United Nations system should play a central role in facilitating such a dialogue;
4. Further reaffirms that the United Nations has a central role to play in promoting international cooperation for development and in bringing development issues to the attention of the international community, and requests the Secretary-General, drawing upon statements made by Member States on various economic and social issues within the context of the debates on those issues held in the General Assembly and the Economic and Social Council, to propose for consideration various issues or themes that represent mutual interests, which would involve benefit to all countries and which are also relevant to the elaboration of an agenda for development;
5. Invites the working group on the agenda for development to give consideration to the proposal of the Secretary-General that advantage be taken of the presence of high-level representatives during the early part of the sessions of the General Assembly to conduct a dialogue and to convene special sessions of the Assembly on major themes relevant to the current and emerging economic and social issues in the global agenda, including those identified under the agenda for development;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to submit a report on the implementation of the present resolution to the General Assembly at its fiftieth session;
7. Decides to include in the provisional agenda of its fiftieth session an item entitled "Renewal of the dialogue on strengthening international economic cooperation for development through partnership".
92nd plenary meeting
19 December 1994