The General Assembly,
Recalling its previous resolutions concerning the reports of the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination and its resolutions on the status of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, Resolution 2106 A (XX), annex.
Reiterating the importance of the Convention, which is one of the most widely accepted human rights instruments adopted under the auspices of the United Nations,
Aware of the importance of the contributions of the Committee to the efforts of the United Nations to combat racism and all other forms of discrimination based on race, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin,
Reiterating once again the need to intensify the struggle for the elimination of racism and racial discrimination throughout the world, especially its most brutal forms,
Emphasizing the obligation of all States parties to the Convention to take legislative, judicial and other measures in order to secure full implementation of the provisions of the Convention,
Bearing in mind the Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action, adopted by the World Conference on Human Rights on 25 June 1993, A/CONF.157/24 (Part I), chap. III. in particular section II.B, relating to equality, dignity and tolerance, and General Assembly resolution 48/121 of 20 December 1993, in particular paragraph 9 thereof,
Calling upon States parties expeditiously to notify the Secretary- General in writing of their agreement to the amendment to the Convention regarding the financing of the Committee, as decided upon at the Fourteenth Meeting of States Parties to the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination on 15 January 1992 See A/49/499, annex I. and endorsed by the General Assembly in its resolution 47/111 of 16 December 1992,
Welcoming efforts of the Secretary-General to ensure interim financial arrangements for the financing of the expenses incurred by the Committee,
Stressing the importance of enabling the Committee to function smoothly and to have all necessary facilities for the effective performance of its functions under the Convention,
Having considered the report of the Secretary-General on the financial situation of the Committee, A/49/499.
1. Commends the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination for its work with regard to the implementation of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination 1/ and the Programme of Action for the Second Decade to Combat Racism and Racial Discrimination Resolution 38/14, annex. and its contribution to the preparations for the Third Decade to Combat Racism and Racial Discrimination;
2. Encourages the Committee to contribute fully to the implementation of the Third Decade and its Programme of Action, Resolution 48/91, annex. including by convening a joint meeting of the Committee and the Subcommission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities;
3. Welcomes the beginning of communication between the Committee and the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and encourages its continuation;
4. Welcomes also the innovatory procedures adopted by the Committee for reviewing the implementation of the Convention in States whose reports are overdue and for formulating concluding observations on reports of States parties to the Convention;
5. Commends the Committee for its efforts in the area of prevention of racial discrimination, including early warning and urgent procedures, and welcomes its relevant decisions; See A/49/18, sect. II and annex III.
6. Expresses its profound concern at the fact that a number of States parties have still not fulfilled their financial obligations, as shown in the report of the Secretary-General; 4/
7. Takes note with appreciation of the report of the Committee on the work of its forty-fourth and forty-fifth sessions; A/49/18.
8. Urges States parties to accelerate their domestic ratification procedures with regard to the amendment concerning the financing of the Committee;
9. Requests the Secretary-General to continue to ensure adequate financial arrangements and appropriate means to permit the functioning of the Committee;
10. Calls upon States parties to fulfil their obligations under article 9, paragraph 1, of the Convention, to submit in due time their periodic reports on measures taken to implement the Convention and to pay their outstanding contributions;
11. Strongly appeals to all States parties that are in arrears to fulfil their outstanding financial obligations under article 8, paragraph 6, of the Convention;
12. Requests the Secretary-General to invite those States parties which are in arrears to pay the amounts in arrears, and to report thereon to the General Assembly at its fiftieth session;
13. Decides to consider at its fiftieth session, under the item entitled "Elimination of racism and racial discrimination", the report of the Secretary-General on the financial situation of the Committee and the report of the Committee.
94th plenary meeting
23 December 1994