Agenda item 27
RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 48/19 of 16 November 1993, and the framework for cooperation and coordination between the United Nations Secretariat and the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, signed on 26 May 1993, 1/
Recalling its resolution 48/5 of 13 October 1993 on observer status for the Conference in the General Assembly,
Having examined the report of the Secretary-General of 17 October 1994 on cooperation between the United Nations and the Conference, 2/
Recalling also the declaration at the 1992 Helsinki summit by the heads of State or Government of the participating States of the Conference of their understanding that the Conference is a regional arrangement in the sense of Chapter VIII of the Charter of the United Nations, and as such provides an important link between European and global security, 3/
Recalling further the documents of the Conference, in particular the Final Act signed at Helsinki on 1 August 1975, the Charter of Paris for a New Europe, 4/ the Prague Document on Further Development of the Institutions and Structures of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, 5/ the Vienna Document 1992 on Confidence- and Security-building Measures, the Helsinki Document 1992 6/ and the Summary of Conclusions of the Fourth Meeting of the Council of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, held at Rome on 30 November and 1 December 1993,
Acknowledging the increasing contribution of the Conference to the establishment and maintenance of international peace and security in the Conference region through its activities in preventive diplomacy, crisis management, arms control and disarmament, and post-crisis stabilizing and rehabilitation measures, as well as its crucial role in the human dimension,
Welcoming progress made in the development and consolidation of contacts and cooperation between the United Nations and the Conference, in particular with regard also to the activities of missions of the Conference in the field,
Taking note of the recommendation adopted by the Special Committee on the Charter of the United Nations and on the Strengthening of the Role of the Organization with regard to the draft declaration on the enhancement of cooperation between the United Nations and regional arrangements or agencies in the maintenance of international peace and security, which was submitted to the General Assembly at its forty-ninth session for consideration and adoption, 7/
Underlining the possibilities for regional action by the Conference for the maintenance of international peace and security as provided for under Chapter VIII of the Charter,
Welcoming the further development of closer contacts between the Conference and the non-participating Mediterranean States, as well as the increased cooperation between the Conference and countries in Asia,
1. Takes note with satisfaction of the report of the Secretary- General on cooperation between the United Nations and the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe;
2. Welcomes the increased cooperation and coordination between the United Nations and the Conference on the basis of the framework agreement, 1/ and requests the Secretary-General to explore with the Chairman-in-Office of the Conference possibilities for further improvements in this regard;
3. Notes the informal meeting between the Secretary-General and representatives of regional arrangements, agencies, organizations and other intergovernmental organizations at United Nations Headquarters on 1 August 1994 with the participation of the Conference;
4. Supports the activities of the Conference aimed at contributing to stability and the maintenance of peace within its area;
5. Encourages the participating States of the Conference to make every effort to achieve pacific settlement of disputes in the Conference area, through conflict prevention and crisis management by the Conference, including peace-keeping;
6. Welcomes the important and successful work done by all the existing missions of the Conference;
7. i that the Conference missions of long duration are an example of preventive diplomacy undertaken within the framework of the Conference and have greatly contributed to promoting stability and counteracting the risk of violence in Kosovo, Sandzak and Vojvodina, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, and in this context calls for the full implementation of Security Council resolution 855 (1993) of 9 August 1993;
8. Fully supports the activities of the Conference aimed at achieving a peaceful solution to the conflict in and around the Nagorny Karabakh region of the Azerbaijani Republic and to alleviate the tension between the Republic of Armenia and the Azerbaijani Republic, and welcomes cooperation between the United Nations and the Conference in this regard;
9. Underlines the importance of the forthcoming summit of the heads of State or Government of the Conference, to be held at Budapest, and expresses its hope for a successful outcome;
10. Decides to include in the provisional agenda of its fiftieth session the item entitled "Cooperation between the United Nations and the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe", and requests the Secretary- General to submit to the General Assembly at its fiftieth session a report on the implementation of the present resolution.
57th plenary meeting
15 November 1994
1/ A/48/185, annex II, appendix.
3/ See A/47/361-S/24370, annex.
4/ A/45/859, annex.
5/ A/47/89-S/23576, annex II.
6/ A/47/361-S-24370, annex.
7/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Forty-ninth Session, Supplement No. 33 (A/49/33), para. 89.