Agenda item 92
RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolutions 47/181 of 22 December 1992 and 48/166 of 21 December 1993,
Taking note of the reports submitted by the Secretary-General on an agenda for development, A/48/689, A/48/935 and A/49/665.
Welcoming the World Hearings on Development promoted by the President of the General Assembly at its forty-eighth session and convened in New York from 6 to 10 June 1994, which provided a substantive contribution to the ongoing debates on an agenda for development, and taking note of the note by the President of the Assembly at its forty-eighth session and his summary of the World Hearings, See A/49/320, annex.
Noting the debates held within the high-level segment of the substantive session of 1994 of the Economic and Social Council, and taking note of the summary and conclusions of the President of the Council, E/1994/109.
Underlining its commitment to the elaboration of an action-oriented consensual framework to promote international cooperation for development and to strengthen the role of the United Nations in the economic and social sectors,
1. Decides to establish an ad hoc open-ended working group of the General Assembly to elaborate further an action-oriented, comprehensive agenda for development, which should begin its work as early as possible in 1995;
2. Requests the ad hoc working group, in its deliberations, to take into account the reports, and the recommendations contained therein, submitted by the Secretary-General pursuant to resolutions 47/181 and 48/166, 1/ the outcome of the high-level segment of the substantive session of 1994 of the Economic and Social Council, the views expressed by representatives in the high-level debate held during the present session of the General Assembly, as well as the summary of the World Hearings on Development, 2/ and proposals presented by groups and/or States, including the convening of a United Nations conference on development;
3. Requests the Economic and Social Council, at its organizational session for 1995, to consider ways and means for the Council to give further substantive input to the work of the ad hoc working group;
4. Also requests the ad hoc working group to consider appropriate modalities for the finalization and adoption of an agenda for development;
5. Further requests the ad hoc working group to submit a report on the progress of its work to the General Assembly before the conclusion of its present session;
6. Decides to include in the provisional agenda of its fiftieth session the item entitled "Agenda for development".
92nd plenary meeting
19 December 1994