Agenda item 88 (f)
RESOLUTION ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolution 47/177 of 22 December 1992, by which it adopted the programme for the Second Industrial Development Decade for Africa, and its decision 48/456 of 21 December 1993, by which it endorsed Economic and Social Council resolution 1993/65 of 30 July 1993,
Recalling also the Mauritius Declaration on Africa's Accelerated Industrial Recovery and Development in the Context of the Second Industrial Development Decade for Africa (1993-2002) and Beyond, adopted by the Conference of African Ministers of Industry at its eleventh meeting, held at Port Louis from 31 May to 3 June 1993,
Taking cognizance of the establishment of the African Economic Community and the need to ensure its operation,
Recalling further the resolutions adopted by the General Conference of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization at its fifth session, 1/ in particular resolution GC.5/Res.12 on the Second Industrial Development Decade for Africa, resolution GC.5/Res.16 on the industrialization of the least developed countries and resolution GC.5/Res.20, containing the Yaounde Declaration, 2/ which emphasized that the organization should pay special attention to the industrialization of the least developed countries, and accord high priority to the industrialization of Africa and to the realization of the objectives of the Second Decade,
1. Takes note of the report of the Secretary-General on the implementation of the programme for the Second Industrial Development Decade for Africa (1993-2002); 3/
2. Reaffirms the importance of industrialization as a dynamic instrument of growth, essential to sustainable economic and social development of developing countries, particularly in Africa;
3. Considers industrial development to be an important vehicle for poverty eradication, income and employment generation, social integration and vertical diversification;
4. Recognizes the need for increasing the integration of African industry in world manufacturing, and for that purpose calls for the support of the international community in achieving the goals of the Second Decade;
5. Also recognizes the responsibility of the African countries in the implementation of the programme of the Second Decade, and calls upon them to continue to undertake appropriate measures to promote economic growth and sustainable development, including by continuing to promote a favourable climate for foreign investment;
6. Requests the United Nations Industrial Development Organization to give full assistance to improving the competitiveness of the industrial sector in Africa and to formulating measures to improve it in the light of the conclusion of the Uruguay Round of multilateral trade negotiations;
7. Also requests the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, in cooperation with the African Development Bank and other subregional, regional and international financial and banking institutions, to provide support, especially in the development of new and innovative measures to mobilize resources and promote foreign direct investment, to African countries;
8. Calls upon the Economic Commission for Africa and the Organization of African Unity to facilitate cooperation with the United Nations Industrial Development Organization in order to provide support to improve African industrial cooperation and to integrate the African Economic Community into the industrial sphere, particularly in the areas of industrial policy, technology, human resource development, industrial investment, small-scale industries, enterprise development and institutional infrastructure, all of these being essential for poverty eradication, employment generation, social integration and vertical integration;
9. Requests the Secretary-General to report on the implementation of the present resolution to the General Assembly at its fiftieth session.
92nd plenary meeting
19 December 1994
1/ See United Nations Industrial Development Organization, Decisions and Resolutions of the General Conference, Fifth Regular Session, Yaounde, 6-10 December 1993 (GC.5/INF.4).
2/ Also reproduced in A/49/347, appendix. 95-76387 /...
3/ A/49/372. .