Common Jurisdiction Courts of First Instance
The Court of First Instance (henceforth Court) basically investigates all civil (with the exception of cases prescribed to the economic court), criminal, military and administrative offence cases; according to the order prescribed by law the Court resolves issues relating to detention, permission for apartment search, as well as restriction of the privacy rights in correspondence, telephone talks, post, telegraph and other means of communication.
The Court performs other authorities prescribed to it by law.
The Court consists of the Chairman and eight judges.
The Chairman of the Court has the following authorities:
- Ensures the regular activities of the Court
- Follows the provision of the work discipline of the judges
- Follows the process of meeting the deadlines of investigating cases by the judges and in missing the deadlines of investigating cases, is representing his judgment to the Ethics Commission of the Council of Courts Chairmen
- In discovering a violation of the requirements of the Discipline legislation, when necessary, respectively sends a report concerning that issue to the Ethics Commission of the Council of Courts Chairmen
- Provides holidays to the judges as prescribed by law
- In case of a holiday or some other temporary absence of the judge, if necessary, redistributes the cases under the latter’s responsibility
- In case of a holiday or some other temporary absence by the chairman of the court, appoints a substitute
- Supervises the activities of the staff of the Court
- Represents the Court in its relations with other bodies
- Performs other authorities prescribed to him/her by law
Positions of a secretary and an assistant are each prescribed to every judge of the Court.
The Court has a staff which is the separate subdivision of Judicial Department, Republic of Armenia and serves to ensure the regular activities of the court.
One can apply to the Court by submitting documents in the court office or by sending them by post.
Web site: The Judiciary of Armenia