21 December 1994
COMMITTEE ON ECONOMIC, SOCIAL AND CULTURAL RIGHTS
CONSIDERATION OF REPORTS SUBMITTED BY STATES PARTIES UNDER
ARTICLES 16 AND 17 OF THE COVENANT
Preliminary concluding observations of the Committee on Economic,
Social and Cultural Rights
1. At its 54th and 55th meetings held on 8 December 1994, the Committee considered the initial report of Suriname on articles 1 to 15 of the Covenant (E/1990/5/Add.20) and adopted [*] the following concluding observations.
2. The Committee welcomes the report submitted by the Government of Suriname in 1993. It regrets that the Government was not present to introduce its report before the Committee and did not submit answers to the written list of issues, which necessitated consideration of the report without the Government's presence. The Committee points out that failure by States parties to appear at Committee meetings as scheduled, with notice provided in the case of Suriname only one day prior to the scheduled meeting, is disruptive to the dialogue between the Committee and the State party and hinders the Committee in arriving at an accurate assessment of the State party's compliance with the Covenant.
3. The Committee requests the Government in the strongest possible terms to submit replies in writing to the list of issues as soon as possible.
4. The Committee will adopt its final concluding observations in relation to Suriname at its twelfth session and for this purpose will take full account of the information available to it from all sources.
* At its 55th meeting (eleventh session) held on 8 December 1994.