COMMITTEE ON THE ELIMINATION
OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION
OF REPORTS SUBMITTED BY STATES PARTIES
UNDER ARTICLE 9 OF THE CONVENTION
Concluding observations of the Committee on the
Elimination of Racial Discrimination
52. At its 1189th meeting, held on 5 March 1997 (see CERD/C/SR.1189),
the Committee reviewed the implementation of the Convention by
Afghanistan based upon its previous report (CERD/C/111/Add.3)
and its consideration by the Committee (see CERD/C/SR.718-719).
The Committee noted with regret that no report had been submitted
to the Committee since 1984.
53. The Committee regretted that Afghanistan had not responded
to its invitation to participate in the meeting and to furnish
54. The Committee expressed concern that the lack of an effective
central authority impedes the implementation of the Convention.
55. The Committee decided that a communication should be sent
to the Government of Afghanistan setting out its reporting obligations
under the Convention and urging that the dialogue with the Committee
should be resumed as soon as possible.
56. The Committee suggested that the Government of Afghanistan
avail itself of the technical assistance offered under the advisory
services and technical assistance programme of the United Nations
High Commissioner for Human Rights/ Centre for Human Rights, with
the aim of drawing up and submitting as soon as possible an updated
report drafted in accordance with the reporting guidelines.