U.N. Commission on Human Rights, Report of the Special Rapporteur on torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, U.N. Doc. E/CN.4/1994/31 (1994)(Nigel Rodley, Special Rapporteur).


Urgent appeals

366. On 6 December 1993 the Special Rapporteur sent un urgent appeal to the Government concerning the state of health of Geoffrey Kuria Kariuki, arrested around 6 November 1993 during a police operation in Nakuru and taken to Nakuru prison. According to the reports, he had not received medical treatment for acute typhoid, despite a court order dated 16 November 1993 requiring him to be taken to hospital.

Information received from the Government on cases included in previous reports

367. On 12 November 1992 the Special Rapporteur sent a letter to the Government regarding the alleged beating in March 1992 of Wangari Maathai and other women hunger strikers. On 31 March 1993 the Government replied that the circumstances surrounding the alleged beating had been the subject of much controversy and disinformation. When these persons first decided to camp at Uhuru Park, the Government was anxious to establish communication with them with a view to finding a solution to their grievances. Towards this end, the Attorney-General held a meeting with them on 28 February 1992 and promised to look into their complaints.

368. Notwithstanding their assurance to the Government that their protest would be peaceful, the opposition began to hold unlicensed public meetings at the venue of the mothers' strike and illegal processions and demonstrations in and around the area. Moreover, soon thereafter, some elements in the environs of the scene of the hunger strike had begun to stone passing motorists and to obstruct traffic. As a result of these activities the police had been instructed to move in to restore law and order. It was in furtherance of this objective that the striking mothers and those at the scene of the strike and its surroundings had been removed. In the course of this operation the police and members of the public had been stoned by some elements who had taken over the movement. The police had responded to these incidents by using force which was commensurate with the situation. In the light of the experience at Uhuru Park the striking mothers had moved to the nearby Cathedral where they continued their strike. In view of the steps taken by the Government to meet their grievances the strike had been called off by late 1992.

369. By letter dated 1 April 1993 the Government added to its reply that neither Wangari Maathai nor the other striking mothers who were alleged to have been beaten had made any formal complaint to the authorities and therefore no investigations into the matter could have been carried out.

Home || Treaties || Search || Links